Which Homework Questions Deal with Vector Quantities and Their Properties?

• Thread starter ian_durrant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the conversation is about two questions related to vector quantities and their properties. The first question asks which quantity is a vector, and the second question asks for the relationship between two vectors when added together. The conversation ends with the suggestion to apply the definition of a vector and its properties to answer the questions.
ian_durrant
I'm working on some homework and I've become stummped on two questions (one of them is wrong, the other is right). The bolded answer is the answer I've chosen.

Homework Statement

Question 3 10 points Save
Which one of the following quantities is a vector quantity?

A. the age of the earth

B. the mass of a freight train

C. the Earth's pull on your body

D. the temperature of hot cup of coffee

E. the number of people attending a soccer game

Question 4
Two vectors A and B are added together to form a vector C. The relationship between the magnitudes of the vectors is given by A + B = C. Which one of the following statements concerning these vectors is true?

A. A and B must be displacements.

B. A and B must have equal lengths.

C. A and B must point in opposite directions.

D. A and B must point in the same direction.

E. A and B must be at right angles to each other.

Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome. Your questions will not be answered directly due to the rules of the forum. I see both questions are vector questions.

For question 3, look at each selection and see if you can assign it a Magnitude and a Direction. If so, you have a Vector. If not, you have a scalar.

For Questiion 4 Just apply your difinition of a vector and the qualities of a vector and you will easily answer the question yourself.
Good luck

It looks like you have chosen the correct answer for question 3 - C. The Earth's pull on your body is a vector quantity because it has both magnitude (strength) and direction.

For question 4, the correct answer is D. A and B must point in the same direction. This is because when two vectors are added together, the resultant vector (C) will have a magnitude and direction that is the sum of the two original vectors. Therefore, for A + B = C to be true, A and B must have the same direction. They do not necessarily have to be displacements or have equal lengths, and they do not have to be at right angles to each other.

FAQ: Which Homework Questions Deal with Vector Quantities and Their Properties?

What are basic conceptual questions?

Basic conceptual questions are questions that involve fundamental concepts or principles in a particular field of study or subject. They are questions that require a conceptual understanding rather than specific facts or details.

Why are basic conceptual questions important?

Basic conceptual questions help to build a strong foundation of knowledge and understanding in a particular subject. They also allow for a deeper understanding and critical thinking about a topic.

What are some examples of basic conceptual questions?

Some examples of basic conceptual questions include "What is the difference between correlation and causation?", "How does natural selection work?", and "What is the difference between a chemical change and a physical change?"

How can I improve my ability to answer basic conceptual questions?

To improve your ability to answer basic conceptual questions, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals in a particular subject. You can also practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as regularly reviewing and applying concepts in real-world scenarios.

Are basic conceptual questions relevant in all fields of study?

Yes, basic conceptual questions are relevant in all fields of study as they help to establish a strong foundation of knowledge and understanding. However, the specific questions may vary depending on the subject or field of study.