1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Conceptual Questions

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1
    I'm working on some homework and I've become stummped on two questions (one of them is wrong, the other is right). The bolded answer is the answer I've chosen.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question 3 10 points Save
    Which one of the following quantities is a vector quantity?

A. the age of the earth

B. the mass of a freight train

C. the earth's pull on your body

D. the temperature of hot cup of coffee

E. the number of people attending a soccer game

Question 4
    Two vectors A and B are added together to form a vector C. The relationship between the magnitudes of the vectors is given by A + B = C. Which one of the following statements concerning these vectors is true?

A. A and B must be displacements.

B. A and B must have equal lengths.

C. A and B must point in opposite directions.

D. A and B must point in the same direction.

E. A and B must be at right angles to each other.

Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks for any help
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2
    Hello and welcome. Your questions will not be answered directly due to the rules of the forum. I see both questions are vector questions.

For question 3, look at each selection and see if you can assign it a Magnitude and a Direction. If so, you have a Vector. If not, you have a scalar.

For Questiion 4 Just apply your difinition of a vector and the qualities of a vector and you will easily answer the question yourself.
    Good luck
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?