How can algebra be used to convert an exponential graph into a linear graph?

• Thread starter ishaquea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary: Sorry I can't help more.In summary, the equation y=1.234x^(-0.567) is not an exponential graph, it's a straight line, and the only way to change what a graph looks like is to modify the equation (changing the axis'). The student is stuck on how to graph it in straight line on excel.
ishaquea
URGENT: Basic graphing question

I have the equation y=1.234x^(-0.567). First part of the question was the plot a graph for it from points 0.01, 0.1, 1, 10, 100... 10000. I got that part (on excel) It's an exponential graph.

Second part says, and here's where I am confused, plot Y=y and X=x^(-0.567) from the same x values. My understanding is that the Y values will stay the same, and the X values will be different based on the new X formula.

The question asks whether the graph will be a straight line. I said no based on excel and intuition because X is still changing exponentially. However, the next question says the following:

"This problem shows two main methods that are widely used to manipulate a mathematical formula (model) to convert and then analyze it in the standard form of a straight line". How does that method convert it to straight line? It's still an exponential relation, isn't it? Another classmate of mine got a straight, but I don't know how. How do you convert an exponential graph into a linear graph without using logs with just algebra?

Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Well first of all, y=1.234(-0.567) isn't an exponential graph, it's a straight any. Any equation that has no variables will come out with a flat line (a.k.a. its a constant value regardless of x, because x isn't in the equation).

See if that makes sense now.

Ah, stupid me. I wrote the equation wrong. Sorry! it's supposed to be y = 1.234 x^(-0.567)

Sorry I'm not quite sure how to help, however what I can say with almost definite certainty is that there is no way to change what a graph looks like without modifying the equation (and changing the axis', but that doesn't really count).

EDIT: Where I'm stuck is when you said

plot Y=y and X=x^(-0.567) from the same x values.

I'm not quite sure what is meant by splitting up the graph like that.

okay my question was this:

plot on the X-axis: X=x^-0.567, where x = 0.01, 0.1, 1... 100, 1000, etc

plot on the Y-axis: Y=y, where y=1.234x^-0.567

My problem is that, apparently, doing that will convert the original exponential equation (y = 1.234x^-0.567) to a straight line. But I can't get it to be a straight line in MS EXCEL when I plot using the x-values.

Prof said that the above way and using logs are two ways to analyze an equation in their linear form. I don't get how you can convert an exponential equation into a linear graph without using logs.

Thanks for trying to help still!

PS. I attached the assignment file. It's question 1.1 that I'm having trouble with.

Attachments

• EXCEL and Uncertainty Assignment Sep 2011.pdf
    145.4 KB · Views: 967

Ah, I see what's going on. I'm can't help with the logistics of graphing it, but I can explain what's going on.

Normally when you graph a function you partition a given view of the y and x axis' into an equal number of parts, each which represent the same value (for instance in a graph one notch up on the y-axis and one notch to the right on the x-axis both equal the same numerical value; 1). So when you graph a straight line, for a given change in x you have a set change in y, valid for any x value. When you graph a non straight line, for a given value of x, the y value can be anything depending on the equation, so if you move one notch over on the x axis, you might move up more or less than one notch on the y axis.

One way of fixing this, is to define a set change in the x notches (by saying x=x on the axis), and making it so the notches on the y-axis are based on the equation. So if the equation triples in value over a x increase of 1 notch, the y notches become 3 times bigger, and so on. When you think about that in your head, you'll realize that the graph you'll get when you base the change in y-notches off the equation will be a straight line.

Tell me if you need some more clarifying, I didn't do a great job.

i sort of see what you're saying... but how do i do graph it in straight line on excel...? :(

Put your given x values in column A in cell B1 compute A1^.567 now copy that down col b for all x values. In col c compute your given function y.

Now plot A vs C and B vs C. The second plat will be a straight line.

1. What is the purpose of graphing data?

Graphing data is a visual representation of information that allows for easier analysis and interpretation. It helps identify patterns, trends, and relationships between variables.

2. What are the basic elements of a graph?

The basic elements of a graph include a title, axes, scales, data points, and a legend. The title describes the content of the graph, the axes represent the variables being measured, the scales show the range of values on each axis, the data points are plotted to show the relationship between variables, and the legend explains the meaning of different data points or lines.

3. How do I choose the appropriate type of graph for my data?

The type of graph you choose depends on the type of data you have and the relationship you want to show. For example, if you want to compare values, a bar graph would be suitable, while a line graph would be more suitable for showing trends over time. It is important to choose a graph that clearly and accurately represents your data.

4. Can I use a graph to manipulate data?

No, a graph is used to visualize and present data, not manipulate it. It is important to accurately represent the data without altering it to fit a specific narrative.

5. How do I interpret a graph?

To interpret a graph, you should look at the title, axes, scales, data points, and legend. Pay attention to the patterns, trends, and relationships shown by the data. Make sure to read any labels or notes on the graph and consider any potential biases or limitations in the data.