1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

: Basic graphing question

1. Oct 14, 2011 #1
    URGENT: Basic graphing question

I have the equation y=1.234x^(-0.567). First part of the question was the plot a graph for it from points 0.01, 0.1, 1, 10, 100... 10000. I got that part (on excel) It's an exponential graph.

Second part says, and here's where I am confused, plot Y=y and X=x^(-0.567) from the same x values. My understanding is that the Y values will stay the same, and the X values will be different based on the new X formula.

The question asks whether the graph will be a straight line. I said no based on excel and intuition because X is still changing exponentially. However, the next question says the following:

"This problem shows two main methods that are widely used to manipulate a mathematical formula (model) to convert and then analyze it in the standard form of a straight line". How does that method convert it to straight line? It's still an exponential relation, isn't it? Another classmate of mine got a straight, but I dont know how. How do you convert an exponential graph into a linear graph without using logs with just algebra?

Please help!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2011 #2
    Re: URGENT: Basic graphing question

Well first of all, y=1.234(-0.567) isn't an exponential graph, it's a straight any. Any equation that has no variables will come out with a flat line (a.k.a. its a constant value regardless of x, because x isn't in the equation).

See if that makes sense now.

4. Oct 14, 2011 #3

Ah, stupid me. I wrote the equation wrong. Sorry!!! it's supposed to be y = 1.234 x^(-0.567)

5. Oct 14, 2011 #4

Sorry I'm not quite sure how to help, however what I can say with almost definite certainty is that there is no way to change what a graph looks like without modifying the equation (and changing the axis', but that doesn't really count).

EDIT: Where I'm stuck is when you said

I'm not quite sure what is meant by splitting up the graph like that.

6. Oct 14, 2011 #5

okay my question was this:

plot on the X-axis: X=x^-0.567, where x = 0.01, 0.1, 1... 100, 1000, etc

plot on the Y-axis: Y=y, where y=1.234x^-0.567

My problem is that, apparently, doing that will convert the original exponential equation (y = 1.234x^-0.567) to a straight line. But I can't get it to be a straight line in MS EXCEL when I plot using the x-values.

Prof said that the above way and using logs are two ways to analyze an equation in their linear form. I don't get how you can convert an exponential equation into a linear graph without using logs.

Thanks for trying to help still!

7. Oct 14, 2011 #6

PS. I attached the assignment file. It's question 1.1 that i'm having trouble with.

Attached Files:

8. Oct 14, 2011 #7

Ah, I see whats going on. I'm can't help with the logistics of graphing it, but I can explain whats going on.

Normally when you graph a function you partition a given view of the y and x axis' into an equal number of parts, each which represent the same value (for instance in a graph one notch up on the y axis and one notch to the right on the x axis both equal the same numerical value; 1). So when you graph a straight line, for a given change in x you have a set change in y, valid for any x value. When you graph a non straight line, for a given value of x, the y value can be anything depending on the equation, so if you move one notch over on the x axis, you might move up more or less than one notch on the y axis.

One way of fixing this, is to define a set change in the x notches (by saying x=x on the axis), and making it so the notches on the y axis are based on the equation. So if the equation triples in value over a x increase of 1 notch, the y notches become 3 times bigger, and so on. When you think about that in your head, you'll realize that the graph you'll get when you base the change in y-notches off the equation will be a straight line.

Tell me if you need some more clarifying, I didn't do a great job.

9. Oct 14, 2011 #8

i sorta see what you're saying... but how do i do graph it in straight line on excel...? :(

10. Oct 15, 2011 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Put your given x values in column A in cell B1 compute A1^.567 now copy that down col b for all x values. In col c compute your given function y.

Now plot A vs C and B vs C. The second plat will be a straight line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook