Integrating 1/sqrt(x): Understanding the Impact of dx

• Thread starter DrOnline
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, you should use the first rule to integrate a function, and then derive it to get the same function back. However, if you take the derivative of ln(\sqrt{x}) you get something different than the original integral.
DrOnline

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int x^n = \frac{1}{(n+1)} * X^{(n+1)} + c [/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x} = ln|x| + c [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I figured since [tex]\int \frac {1}{x} = ln|x| + c, then \int \frac {1}{\sqrt{x}} = ln|{\sqrt{x}}| + c [/tex]

But that's wrong. Apparently I have to use the first rule I stated, and i becomes [tex] 2x^{(1/2)} [/tex]

Which I can accept and do in the future, but I want to know why the second rule does not apply?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your second integral in part 3 is incorrect. You should normally be able to integrate a function, then derive it to get the same function back. What happens if you take the derivative of [itex] ln(\sqrt{x}) [/itex]? Don't forget the Chain Rule!

Uhm.. I get:

[tex] \frac {d}{dx} ln( \sqrt{x}) = \frac {1}{\sqrt{x}} * \frac {1}{2*{\sqrt{x}}} = \frac {1}{2x} [/tex]

Which is.. not the same as the original.

Alright. I see it cannot be like I wanted it to be, but I still find it a bit.. counter intuitive, if that makes sense, because:

If:

[tex] \frac {d}{dx} ln(x) = \frac {1}{x}, [/tex] for any value of X, if can be anything a ton of functions all nested together,

then surely:

[tex] \int \frac {1}{x} = ln(x) [/tex] for any x.

Such as [tex] \sqrt{x} [/tex]

Last edited:
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} = x^{\frac{-1}{2}}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
BloodyFrozen said:
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} = x^{\frac{-1}{2}}$$

Yes, I am aware of that, but if we call [tex] \sqrt{x} = u [/tex]

Then [tex] \int \frac {1} {u} = ln(u), or: ln(\sqrt{x}) [/tex]

Bu that is false, which to me seems to violate the rule.

Edit: fixed some faulty reasoning. Now my question is valid.

Last edited by a moderator:
DrOnline said:

You are confused because your are forgetting that to get 'ln', the thing inside the "d" needs to match the denominator. That is, if you have
[tex] \int \frac{d(\text{thing 1})}{\text{thing 2}}[/tex] you need thing 1 = thing 2. When you have
[tex] \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x}},[/tex] you are not matching up the denominator and the thing under the "d". You would get ln(√x) if you had
[tex] \int \frac{d \sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x}}.[/tex]
Basically, if you change variables to y = √x for the denominator, you need to use dy, not dx, in the numerator.

RGV

Wow, that devastated my mind. I'm going to chew on that one for a bit. I think I understand what you mean.

Thanks everybody!

DrOnline said:

You are doing the method of substitution incorrectly.

By your argument, you could just as well have let [itex]\displaystyle u=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex] and come up with [itex]\displaystyle \int u\,, \ [/itex] which would give a very different, and also incorrect, answer.

You may notice that in you textbook, there is always a differential, dx in the case of your original integral, included with the integration symbol.

So you must do more than substituting [itex]\displaystyle u\ \ \text{for}\ \ \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \ . [/itex] You must also substitute for dx.

In the case of [itex]\displaystyle u=\sqrt{x}\,,\ \ du=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}dx\ .[/itex]

Your integral becomes:

[itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}\,dx=\int \frac{2}{2\sqrt{x}}dx=\int 2\,du\ .[/itex]

Added in Edit: I see RGV beat me to it. We both agree, but expressed ourselves enough differently so that I'll leave my post here rather than deleting it. (I'm pretty slow at typing this stuff up.)

DrOnline said:
[tex]\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
[tex]\int x^n = \frac{1}{(n+1)} * X^{(n+1)} + c [/tex]
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x} = ln|x| + c [/tex]

In addition to other comments already made in this thread, you are omitting the differential in each of your integrals. While it might not seem important at this stage in your learning, omitting the differential will come back to bite you in the butt in the very near future, especially when you start to work with trig substitutions.

The corrected versions of these integrals are:
$$ \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x}} $$
$$\int x^n dx= \frac{1}{(n+1)} * x^{(n+1)} + c $$
$$\int \frac{dx}{x} = ln|x| + c $$

I get it now. I never really considered the impact of the dx.

I am actually familiar with the substitution method, I got to 2nd order differential equations in the past, but I am kind of re-learning this stuff these days.

Thanks a lot everybody. Love this forum.

1. What is basic integration?

Basic integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve. It involves finding the antiderivative of a given function and evaluating it at two points to find the area between those points.

2. What is the general form of a basic integration expression?

The general form of a basic integration expression is ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) is the function being integrated and dx represents the variable of integration.

3. How do you solve a basic integration problem?

To solve a basic integration problem, you must first identify the function being integrated and then find its antiderivative. Then, you evaluate the antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of integration and subtract the lower value from the upper value to find the area under the curve.

4. What is the purpose of using "1/sqrt(x)" in basic integration?

The function "1/sqrt(x)" is often used in basic integration because it is a common function that does not have a simple antiderivative. This allows students to practice integration by parts, substitution, and other techniques to find the antiderivative.

5. How is basic integration useful in real-world applications?

Basic integration is useful in real-world applications for calculating areas, volumes, and other quantities that can be represented by a function. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-world problems.