Why Does Simplifying an Irrational Equation Factor Lead to an Impossible Result?

• Thread starter greg_rack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, when solving the equation $a-2=-\sqrt{a^2-4}$, we must take the square of each member resulting in $a=2$. However, if we simplify the $(a-2)$ factor, the equation becomes impossible. This is because for the square root to be real, we must have $a\geq2$ or $a\leq-2$. Therefore, there is only one real solution, which is $a=2$. However, the only restriction on $-\sqrt{a^2-4}$ is $-\sqrt{a^2-4}\leq0$, so $a=2$ is a valid solution.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
$$a-2=-\sqrt{a^2-4}$$
Relevant Equations
none
For solving this equation I must take elevate to the square of each member, resulting in:
$$(a-2)^2=a^2-4 \rightarrow a=2$$
Now, the thing I noticed and don't get is that if you simplify a ##(a-2)## factor, the equation becomes impossible:
$$a-2=a+2$$
It must be a stupid thing which I'm missing...

Physics news on Phys.org
You divided by ##(a-2)##, which is zero!

• Haha
Likes greg_rack
etotheipi said:
You divided by ##(a-2)##, which is zero!
Told you it would have been stupid😂... but how could I know in advance ##a-2## to be 0 if I still haven't found ##a##?

In general, you shouldn't divide by a term unless you have verified that it is not zero. You need to do it the long way!

Likes greg_rack
greg_rack said:
Homework Statement:: $$a-2=-\sqrt{a^2-4}$$
Relevant Equations:: none
greg_rack said:
but how could I know in advance a−2 to be 0 if I still haven't found a?
The first thing to notice here is that since ##-\sqrt{a^2 - 4}## is negative less than or equal to 0, then ##a - 2## also has to be negative less than or equal to 0. This implies that a < 2 ##a \le 2##.
Also, for the square root to be real, we must have ##a^2 - 4 \ge 0##. This implies that ##a \ge 2## or ##a \le -2##.
From these restrictions we see that there is no real solution possible only one solution possible.
greg_rack said:
For solving this equation I must take elevate to the square of each member, resulting in:
$$(a-2)^2=a^2-4 \rightarrow a=2$$
Now, the thing I noticed and don't get is that if you simplify a ##(a-2)## factor, the equation becomes impossible:
$$a-2=a+2$$
It must be a stupid thing which I'm missing...

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
The first thing to notice here is that since ##-\sqrt{a^2 - 4}## is negative, then ##a - 2## also has to be negative. This implies that a < 2.
Also, for the square root to be real, we must have ##a^2 - 4 \ge 0##. This implies that ##a \ge 2## or ##a \le -2##.
From these restrictions we see that there is no real solution possible.

The only restriction on ##-\sqrt{a^2-4}## is ##-\sqrt{a^2 - 4} \leq 0##, so ##a=2## is a real solution.

My restriction was a tad too restrictive, and disallowed the possibility that ##-\sqrt{a^2 - 4}## could be zero.
The revised restrictions are ##a - 2 \le 0 \Rightarrow a \le 2## and ##a \ge 2## or ##a \le -2##. So ##a = 2## is the only possible solution.
I've edited my earlier post.

As far as how do you know you're dividing by zero, anytime you divide by anything you can just say "either the new equation is true, or the thing I divided by is zero" and then handle the two cases separately.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is an irrational equation?

An irrational equation is an algebraic equation that contains irrational numbers, such as square roots or pi. These numbers cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, making them non-terminating and non-repeating decimals.

2. How do you solve a basic irrational equation?

To solve a basic irrational equation, you need to isolate the irrational term on one side of the equation and then square both sides to eliminate the radical. This will result in a quadratic equation, which can be solved using the quadratic formula or factoring.

3. Can an irrational equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an irrational equation can have more than one solution. This is because when you square both sides of the equation, you are introducing extraneous solutions. It is important to check your solutions and eliminate any that do not satisfy the original equation.

4. What are some real-life applications of irrational equations?

Irrational equations have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. For example, the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere involves the irrational number pi. Irrational equations are also used in calculating interest rates and mortgage payments.

5. Are there any special rules for solving irrational equations?

Yes, there are a few special rules to keep in mind when solving irrational equations. One rule is that you cannot take the square root of a negative number, so you may need to set restrictions on your solutions. Another rule is that when squaring both sides of an equation, you must include the plus or minus sign to account for both positive and negative solutions.