Advanced Math Problem of the Week 10/17/2017

In summary, the sequence ##\{a_k\}_{k\ge 1}## is defined by ##a_1=1##, ##a_2=\dfrac{1}{2}## and ##a_{k+2}=a_k+\dfrac{a_{k+1}}{2}+\dfrac{1}{4a_ka_{k+1}}## for ##k\ge 1##. The goal is to prove that ##\dfrac{1}{a_1a_3}+\dfrac{1}{a_2a_4}+\dfrac{1}{a_3
PF PotW Robot
Here is this week's advanced math problem. We have several members who will check solutions, but we also welcome the community in general to step in. We also encourage finding different methods to the solution. If one has been found, see if there is another way. Using spoiler tags is optional. Occasionally there will be prizes for extraordinary or clever methods. Spoiler tags are optional.Consider the sequence ##\{a_k\}_{k\ge 1}## is defined by ##a_1=1##, ##a_2=\dfrac{1}{2}## and ##a_{k+2}=a_k+\dfrac{a_{k+1}}{2}+\dfrac{1}{4a_ka_{k+1}}## for ##k\ge 1.##

Prove that ##\dfrac{1}{a_1a_3}+\dfrac{1}{a_2a_4}+\dfrac{1}{a_3a_5}+\cdots+\dfrac{1}{a_{98}a_{100}}<4##.

(PotW thanks to our friends at http://www.mathhelpboards.com/)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my proof. It's a bit longer and uglier than what I wanted. I assumed direct calculation of a few numbers (albeit not running a for loop over the entire series) was allowed. I suspect there is a much shorter approach.

FWIW, it seemed to me that a better posed problem would be to prove:

##\sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{a_k a_{k+2}} \lt 4## for arbitrary natural number n, or perhaps just prove ##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{a_k a_{k+2}} \lt 4##
- - - -
The inspiration for this post is:

##\sum_{k=2}^n \big(\frac{1}{k}\big)^2 \lt \sum_{k=2}^n \frac{1}{k(k-1)} = 1 - \frac{1}{n} \leq 1##

for natural numbers where ##2\leq k \lt n##
additionally, the fact that all numbers in our series are strictly positive allows us to make use of things like ##GM \leq AM##

- - - -
It is sometimes useful to calculate a few values out first. Values from ##a_3, a_4, a_5, a_6## and ##a_7## are shown directly in the end piece of this post.

Our goal is to prove

##\sum_{k=1}^{98} \frac{1}{a_k a_{k+2}} = \big(\sum_{k=1}^{4} \frac{1}{a_k a_{k+2}}\big) + \sum_{k=5}^{98} \frac{1}{a_k a_{k+2}} \lt 4##

via above mentioned calculations, we have:

##\big(\sum_{k=1}^{4} \frac{1}{a_k a_{k+2}}\big)= \frac{1}{a_1 a_{3}} + \frac{1}{a_2 a_{4}} + \frac{1}{a_3 a_{5}} + \frac{1}{a_4 a_{6}} \approx 2.187 \lt 2.2 ##

The proof is in some sense only 3 lines, with some justification provided at the end

- - - -
first:

##\sum_{k=1}^{98} \frac{1}{a_k a_{k+2}} \lt 2.2 + \sum_{k=5}^{98} \frac{1}{a_k a_{k+2}} \lt 2.2 + \frac{1}{2}\Big(\big(\sum_{k=5}^{98} \frac{1}{a_k^2} \big) + \big(\sum_{k=5}^{98} \frac{1}{ a_{k+2}^2}\big)\Big) \lt 2.2 + \frac{1}{2}\Big(2\big(\sum_{k=5}^{100} \frac{1}{a_{k}^2} \big)\Big) = 2.2 + \Big(\sum_{k=5}^{100} \big(\frac{1}{a_{k}}\big)^2\Big)##

by application of Cauchy Schwarz in additive form (or equivalently: ##GM \leq AM##).

- - - -
second:

if we set: ##r:= k-3## we can re-write the RHS as

##2.2 + \Big(\sum_{k=5}^{100} \big(\frac{1}{a_{k}}\big)^2\Big) = 2.2 + \Big(\sum_{r=2}^{97} \big(\frac{1}{a_{r+3}}\big)^2\Big)##

- - - -
finally:

##\sum_{k=1}^{98} \frac{1}{a_k a_{k+2}} \lt 2.2 + \Big(\sum_{r=2}^{97} \big(\frac{1}{a_{r+3}}\big)^2\Big) \leq 2.2+ \Big(\sum_{r=2}^{97} \frac{1}{r(r-1)}\Big) \leq 2.2 + \big(1\big) = 3.2 \lt 4##

which completes the proof.
- - - -
note: this readily generalizes to an infinite series where:

##\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{a_k a_{k+2}} \lt 2.2 + \Big(\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k(k-1)}\Big) = 3.2 \lt 4##
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
supporting info:
proof that ##\sum_{r=2}^{n}\big(\frac{1}{a_{r+3}}\big)^2 \leq \sum_{r=2}^{n}\frac{1}{r(r-1)} ##

for any natural number ##n \geq 2##
- - - -
we want to show

## r(r-1) \leq a_{r+3}^2##
because this means

##\frac{1}{r(r-1)} \geq \frac{1}{a_{r+3}^2}##

noting that all values are positive for both ##(r-1)## and ##a_{r+3}##.

We can equivalently seek to prove:

## \big(r(r-1)\big)^\frac{1}{2} \leq a_{r+3}##

## \big(r(r-1)\big)^\frac{1}{2} \leq \frac{1}{2}\big(r + (r-1)\big) = r - 0.5 \leq a_{r+3}##
by ##GM \leq AM##
- - - -

Hence all we really need to prove is: ##a_{r+3} \geq r - 0.5 ##
by direct calculation, we verify this holds in the case of ##a_5## through ##a_7## as shown below.

##\begin{bmatrix}
& & a_3 & = 1.75 & \\
& & a_4 & \approx 1.6607 & \\
r = 2 & \to & a_5 & \approx 2.6663 &\gt 1.5 \\
r = 3 & \to & a_6 & \approx 3.0503 &\gt 2.5 \\
r = 4 & \to & a_7 & \approx 4.222 &\gt 3.5
\end{bmatrix}##

From here we may use induction: assume true for some ##r## now we need to prove it must be true for ##r+1##, i.e. prove

##a_{r + 4} = a_{r + 3+1} \geq (r+1) -0.5 = r+0.5 ##

using our recurrence, noting that ##\frac{1}{4 a_{r+3}a_{r+2} } \gt 0##, and then using our strong inductive hypothesis, we have

##a_{r+4} = \frac{1}{2}a_{r+3} + a_{r+2} +\frac{1}{4 a_{r+3}a_{r+2} } \gt \frac{1}{2}a_{r+3} + a_{r+2} \geq \frac{1}{2}\big(r - 0.5\big) + \big((r - 1) -0.5\big) = 1.5r - 1.75 ##

Hence we are interested in:

## 1.5r - 1.75 \geq r + 0.5##
## 0.5r \geq 2.25##
## r \geq 4.5##

Therefore the relationship must hold true for natural numbers ##r \geq 5## and we verified it holds via direct calculation for smaller values of ##r##. Thus we've proven for any natural number ##r\geq 2##

##\big(\frac{1}{a_{r+3}}\big)^2 \leq \frac{1}{r(r-1)}##

hence

##\sum_{r=2}^{n}\big(\frac{1}{a_{r+3}}\big)^2 \leq \sum_{r=2}^{n}\frac{1}{r(r-1)} \leq 1 ##

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the difficulty level of this week's advanced math problem?

The difficulty level of this week's advanced math problem is considered to be challenging. It may require advanced mathematical knowledge and critical thinking skills to solve.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve this advanced math problem?

Yes, you are allowed to use a calculator to solve this advanced math problem. However, it is recommended to show your work and explain your thought process in solving the problem.

3. How much time do I have to solve this advanced math problem?

You have one week to solve this advanced math problem, as it is the "Problem of the Week" for the week of 10/17/2017. The deadline for submission is the following week's advanced math problem release.

4. Are there any specific rules or guidelines for solving this advanced math problem?

There are no specific rules or guidelines for solving this advanced math problem. You are encouraged to use any mathematical concepts and techniques that you have learned to solve the problem.

5. How can I submit my solution to this advanced math problem?

You can submit your solution to this advanced math problem by emailing it to the designated email address provided in the problem statement. Make sure to include your name, grade level, and school (if applicable) in the submission email.