1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic mechanical question

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1000N crate pushed at constant speed 300N at angle 20* below horizontal. I need to find the frictional coefficient.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't think I am even diagramming this right but here goes, Downward force is (1000N)(9.8m/s^2) Upward is (300N)(Sin20*), To the right is (300N)(cos20*) an I have no idea about to the left... I was sick in class and am pretty behind now trying to play catchup but none of the examples in the book are quite like this and I cant find very relevant help elsewhere online. Plz help=]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is there a sketch that goes along with this problem? You first have to be sure of the direction of the 300 N applied force that acts at 20 degrees below the horizontal. Is this force pushing down and to the right or up and to the right? I interpret it as acting downward and to the right, in which case it has a downward component, not an upward one. After you resolve this dilemma, you need to draw a free body diagram and show all forces acting on the crate, in both the x and y directions. There are several. Then you need to apply newton's laws in the x and y directions. You will probably need to 'catch up' with what you missed in class by talking directly to your instructor, assuming your instructor is human and not a machine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook