Finding Frictional Coefficient for Constant Speed Crate

• Thread starter Booska
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanical
In summary, the homework problem involves a 1000N crate being pushed at a constant speed by a 300N force at an angle of 20 degrees below the horizontal. The goal is to determine the frictional coefficient. The student is unsure of how to approach the problem and is seeking help. They have attempted to draw a diagram and use Newton's laws, but are unsure if they are doing it correctly and have fallen behind in class. It is suggested that they talk to their instructor to catch up on missed material.
Booska

Homework Statement

1000N crate pushed at constant speed 300N at angle 20* below horizontal. I need to find the frictional coefficient.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I am even diagramming this right but here goes, Downward force is (1000N)(9.8m/s^2) Upward is (300N)(Sin20*), To the right is (300N)(cos20*) an I have no idea about to the left... I was sick in class and am pretty behind now trying to play catchup but none of the examples in the book are quite like this and I can't find very relevant help elsewhere online. Plz help=]

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a sketch that goes along with this problem? You first have to be sure of the direction of the 300 N applied force that acts at 20 degrees below the horizontal. Is this force pushing down and to the right or up and to the right? I interpret it as acting downward and to the right, in which case it has a downward component, not an upward one. After you resolve this dilemma, you need to draw a free body diagram and show all forces acting on the crate, in both the x and y directions. There are several. Then you need to apply Newton's laws in the x and y directions. You will probably need to 'catch up' with what you missed in class by talking directly to your instructor, assuming your instructor is human and not a machine.

1. What is the definition of mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior of physical bodies when subjected to forces or displacements, and the subsequent effects of these bodies on their environment.

2. What are the three main categories of mechanics?

The three main categories of mechanics are statics, dynamics, and kinematics. Statics deals with the equilibrium of bodies at rest, dynamics deals with the motion of bodies, and kinematics deals with the description of motion without considering the forces causing it.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic mechanics?

Static mechanics deals with the equilibrium of bodies at rest, while dynamic mechanics deals with the motion of bodies under the influence of forces. In other words, static mechanics focuses on objects that are not moving, while dynamic mechanics focuses on objects that are moving.

4. What is the role of friction in mechanics?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects when they are in contact with each other. It plays a crucial role in mechanics as it affects the motion and stability of objects. In some cases, friction can be useful, such as in braking systems, but it can also be problematic, causing wear and tear on machinery.

5. How is mechanics applied in real-world situations?

Mechanics is applied in various fields, including engineering, physics, and daily life. It is used to design and analyze structures, machines, and systems, as well as to understand the behavior of natural phenomena such as weather patterns. It also plays a significant role in transportation, sports, and many other aspects of our daily lives.