1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic particle accelerator - escape speed (grade 12)

1. Feb 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The device has two parallel plates, one positively charged and one negatively. The positive plate has a hole to allow electrons to fire out of it.

b) How can the device be modified to accelerate protons?
    c) How does the escape velocity of a proton compare to that of an electron, if the electric field were the same? Explain.

2. Relevant equations
    a = qε/m

3. The attempt at a solution
    Part c is what I'm unsure about. Are they assuming that I've modified the device, but the electric field has the same magnitude?

If so, my educated guess is as follows:

The particles have equal but opposite charges and experience the same field, but a proton has a larger mass and will be accelerated less before exiting the device; therefore, it will have a lower exit speed.

On the other hand, assuming the device has not been modified, the proton would still have a lower exit speed (probably won't exit at all) because it's attracted to the negative plate.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're doing fine. Yes, part c question comes after the modification. (otherwise the protons would indeed go the other way and fall on to the negative plate).

4. Feb 16, 2016 #3
    Thank you,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted