1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic qns on partial derivatives

1. Jul 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Is (∂P/∂x)(∂x/∂P) = 1?

I realized that's not true, but i'm not sure why.

2. Say we have an equation PV = T*exp(VT)

The question wanted to find (∂P/∂V), (∂V/∂T) and (∂T/∂P) and show that product of all 3 = -1.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried moving the variables about then differentiate but I got all the wrong answers, for example:

V = (T/P) * exp (VT)

then to find (∂V/∂T) with P constant, i did product rule.. which gave me wrong answers

T = PV * exp(-VT)

then to find (∂T/∂P) with V constant, i use product rule again..which completely gave me the wrong answers..

So I thought that you're not allowed to move the variables around?

Strangely I got (∂P/∂V) correct despite moving the variables around... coincidence?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2012 #2
    update: i realized its the same! but this way it took much much longer than the solution which they simply took the "ln" throughout to simplify..

4. Jul 27, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show what you did: you said " ... then to find (∂V/∂T) with P constant, i did product rule.. which gave me wrong answers...". What did you get, and how do you know the answer is wrong?

RGV

5. Jul 27, 2012 #4
    I worked it out finally. It comes out the same as the solutions, so i'm relieved. But can anyone answer the first qn?

6. Jul 28, 2012 #5
    I don't have a clear understanding of partial derivative but the following hint may help you:

Suppose P is a function of x and y, we can write

[itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial P}=1[/itex]

using chain rule:
    [itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial P}+\frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial P}=1[/itex]

Due to the second term
    [itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial P}≠1[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook