Why Do Partial Derivatives Not Always Multiply to One?

In summary: Therefore, (∂P/∂x)(∂x/∂P) ≠ 1In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the equality (∂P/∂x)(∂x/∂P) = 1 and the attempt at finding (∂P/∂V), (∂V/∂T), and (∂T/∂P) in an equation involving PV, T, and V. The speaker initially got wrong answers by moving the variables around and using product rule, but eventually realized that the solution involved taking the "ln" throughout to simplify. They also mention having a lack of understanding of partial derivatives and provide a hint for further understanding.
unscientific

Homework Statement

1. Is (∂P/∂x)(∂x/∂P) = 1?

I realized that's not true, but I'm not sure why.2. Say we have an equation PV = T*exp(VT)

The question wanted to find (∂P/∂V), (∂V/∂T) and (∂T/∂P) and show that product of all 3 = -1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried moving the variables about then differentiate but I got all the wrong answers, for example:

V = (T/P) * exp (VT)

then to find (∂V/∂T) with P constant, i did product rule.. which gave me wrong answers

T = PV * exp(-VT)

then to find (∂T/∂P) with V constant, i use product rule again..which completely gave me the wrong answers..

So I thought that you're not allowed to move the variables around?

Strangely I got (∂P/∂V) correct despite moving the variables around... coincidence?

Physics news on Phys.org
update: i realized its the same! but this way it took much much longer than the solution which they simply took the "ln" throughout to simplify..

unscientific said:

Homework Statement

1. Is (∂P/∂x)(∂x/∂P) = 1?

I realized that's not true, but I'm not sure why.

2. Say we have an equation PV = T*exp(VT)

The question wanted to find (∂P/∂V), (∂V/∂T) and (∂T/∂P) and show that product of all 3 = -1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried moving the variables about then differentiate but I got all the wrong answers, for example:

V = (T/P) * exp (VT)

then to find (∂V/∂T) with P constant, i did product rule.. which gave me wrong answers

T = PV * exp(-VT)

then to find (∂T/∂P) with V constant, i use product rule again..which completely gave me the wrong answers..

So I thought that you're not allowed to move the variables around?

Strangely I got (∂P/∂V) correct despite moving the variables around... coincidence?

Show what you did: you said " ... then to find (∂V/∂T) with P constant, i did product rule.. which gave me wrong answers...". What did you get, and how do you know the answer is wrong?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Show what you did: you said " ... then to find (∂V/∂T) with P constant, i did product rule.. which gave me wrong answers...". What did you get, and how do you know the answer is wrong?

RGV

I worked it out finally. It comes out the same as the solutions, so I'm relieved. But can anyone answer the first qn?

I don't have a clear understanding of partial derivative but the following hint may help you:

Suppose P is a function of x and y, we can write

[itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial P}=1[/itex]

using chain rule:
[itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial P}+\frac{\partial P}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial P}=1[/itex]

Due to the second term
[itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial P}≠1[/itex]

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative denoted?

A partial derivative is denoted by using the ∂ (partial derivative symbol) followed by the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken. For example, the partial derivative of a function f(x,y) with respect to x would be denoted as ∂f/∂x.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and an ordinary derivative?

A partial derivative involves taking the derivative of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant, while an ordinary derivative involves taking the derivative with respect to a single variable without holding any other variables constant.

4. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you first take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable in question, treating all other variables as constants. Then, you substitute the numerical values of the constants into the derivative, resulting in a numerical value for the partial derivative.

5. Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to understand how a function changes in relation to one of its variables while keeping all other variables constant. This is useful in many fields, such as economics, physics, and engineering, where functions often depend on multiple variables.