Basic Statics/Dynamics System of Equations (help)

In summary, the conversation is about a model vehicle powered by a twisted rubber band and the loads going through the member bodies. The person has created free body diagrams and attempted to outline systems of equations. They are asking for a sanity check on their logic, as their system of equations has 9 equations and 6 unknowns. Another person suggests that if the equations are linear, then only 6 equations and 6 unknowns are needed. They also recommend trying to solve using a matrix.
kroq

Homework Statement

Hi there, I'm working on a simple model vehicle (powered by a twisted rubber band) applying torque to a drive wheel. I just want to understand the loads going through the member bodies.

I've mocked up the enclosed free body diagrams and attempted to outline the systems of equations. Can I get a sanity check on my logic.

The static considerations sum to zero for forces and moments in the vertical direction.
The vehicle will accelerate horizontally as its powered by the band. Sum of forces equal ma. Sum of moments equal I•alpha.

A sanity check would be appreciated. It's not solving out correctly, and it seems weird to have a system of 9 equations and 6 unknowns.

Homework Equations

See jpeg.

The Attempt at a Solution

See jpeg.

Attachments

• systemofequations.jpg
    systemofequations.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
Havn't studied your jpeg but if your equations are all linear then you should only need the 6 equations with the 6 unknowns. You might be over-specifying. If you think it's an algebraic mistake maybe you could try solving via matrix (6x6^-1 * 6x1)?

1. What is the difference between statics and dynamics?

Statics is the study of objects at rest or in equilibrium, while dynamics is the study of objects in motion.

2. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that are to be solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

3. What are the basic principles of statics?

The basic principles of statics are the laws of motion, which include Newton's First Law (inertia), Newton's Second Law (force equals mass times acceleration), and Newton's Third Law (action and reaction).

4. How do you solve a system of equations using statics and dynamics?

To solve a system of equations using statics and dynamics, you must first identify the unknown variables and the equations that represent the forces acting on the system. Then, you can use algebraic methods to solve for the unknown variables.

5. What are some real-life applications of statics and dynamics?

Statics and dynamics are used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, and architecture. Some common real-life applications include analyzing the forces acting on structures such as bridges and buildings, predicting the motion of objects in projectile motion, and designing efficient mechanical systems.