How Is Acceleration Calculated in a Basic Table Pulley System?

In summary, the conversation involves a problem where two masses, m1 and m2, are connected by a pulley system and are subject to static and kinetic friction forces. After discussing the equations and attempting a solution, the issue of sign errors is addressed, and the importance of creating a Free Body Diagram is emphasized. The final answer is determined to be 3.96 m/s^2 to the right.
gummybeargirl

Homework Statement

Mass m1 = 14.9 kg is on a horizontal surface. Mass m2 = 7.48 kg hangs freely on a rope which is attached to the first mass. The coefficient of static friction between m1 and the horizontal surface is μs = 0.571, while the coefficient of kinetic friction is μk = 0.105. If the system is in motion with m1 moving to the left, then what will be the magnitude of the system's acceleration? Consider the pulley to be massless and frictionless.

Homework Equations

∑F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For m1: T-μs*m1*g = m1*a
For m2: -T-m2*g = m2*a

Then i substitute → -m2*a-m2*g-μ*m1*g = m1*a
When i plug in my numbers i get the acceleration to be 2.59 m/s^2, which i correct if the system where moving right. I am not sure where i am going wrong or how to get the acceleration going left.

Physics news on Phys.org
gummybeargirl said:
For m1: T-μs*m1*g = m1*a
Since it's moving, you need kinetic friction.

For m2: -T-m2*g = m2*a
You have a sign problem. Tension and weight act in different directions.

A diagram would have been nice! (Or at least a description of which mass is on the left.)

Sorry i totally forgot to include the diagram. I hope this will help, i am still a little confused as to why i am not getting the correct answer.
I tried fixing some of those errors and got two equations:
M1: T+μk*m1*g = m1*a
M2: T-m2*g = m2*a
I combined these and got:
m2*a + m2*g + μk*m1*g = m1*a → giving me an answer of 11.96 m/s^2, which is incorrect.

Attachments

• 005a.gif
    005a.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,320
Last edited:
gummybeargirl said:
I tried fixing some of those errors and got two equations:
M1: T+μk*m1*g = m1*a
Good.

M2: T-m2*g = m2*a
You still have a sign error, but a different one. Note that in your first equation, you took "a" as being to the right. If m1 accelerates to the right, then m2 must accelerate downward.

You're almost there.

Likes 1 person
Doc Al said:
Since it's moving, you need kinetic friction.

You have a sign problem. Tension and weight act in different directions.

A diagram would have been nice! (Or at least a description of which mass is on the left.)

Doc Al said:
Good.

You still have a sign error, but a different one. Note that in your first equation, you took "a" as being to the right. If m1 accelerates to the right, then m2 must accelerate downward.

You're almost there.

Thank you so much! I fixed my signs and was able to get the correct answer. Thanks for walking me through the entire issue.

Whenever you have a situation like this, first make a FBD (Free Body Diagram). It indicates the forces and their directions acting on the objects.

Out of curiosity was the correct answer 3.96 m/s^2 to the right? I'd type out my symbolic answer but I'm on my phone.

1. What is a basic table pulley system?

A basic table pulley system is a simple mechanical device that uses a combination of wheels and ropes to lift or move objects. It consists of a fixed pulley attached to a table or surface, and a movable pulley attached to the object being lifted. The rope or cable is threaded through both pulleys, creating a mechanical advantage that allows for easier lifting of heavy objects.

2. How does a basic table pulley system work?

A basic table pulley system works by distributing the force needed to lift an object over multiple ropes and pulleys. When the rope is pulled, the movable pulley moves up, while the fixed pulley remains stationary. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object, making it easier to lift heavy loads.

3. What are the advantages of using a basic table pulley system?

There are several advantages to using a basic table pulley system, including the ability to lift heavy objects with less force, the ability to change the direction of the force, and the ability to distribute the weight of the load evenly. It also allows for a single person to lift heavier objects that they may not be able to lift on their own.

4. Can a basic table pulley system be used for different types of lifting tasks?

Yes, a basic table pulley system can be used for a variety of lifting tasks, such as lifting a bucket of water, raising a flag, or hoisting a sail. The system can also be used in more complex machines, such as cranes and elevators, to lift heavier objects.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a basic table pulley system?

Yes, there are a few safety considerations to keep in mind when using a basic table pulley system. It is important to make sure the system is set up properly and that the ropes and pulleys are in good condition. It is also important to use the appropriate amount of force and to avoid overloading the system. Additionally, it is important to always use caution and proper lifting techniques to prevent injury.