1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Trigonometry

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If [tex]m^{2}+m' ^{2}+2mm' cos \theta=1[/tex]

[tex]n^{2}+n' ^{2}+2nn' cos \theta=1[/tex]

[tex]mn+m'n'+(mn'+m'n)cos \theta =0[/tex],
    then prove that [tex]m^{2}+n^{2}=cosec^{2} \theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tri a lot but its difficult to eliminate m' or n'

If I add the first to equations and separate m^2+n^2 to left ide, again its difficult to prov the RHS to [tex]cosec ^{2} \theta[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

draw the triangle!

Hi ritwik06! :smile:

Well, looking at the the first two equations, you're obviously supposed to draw a triangle with sides m and m', and an angle of π - θ between them. :wink:

Give the name φ to the angle opposite m (so the angle opposite m' is … ?).

Then do the same with n n ' and ψ.

And then use the sine rule … :smile:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  4. Sep 2, 2008 #3
    Re: draw the triangle!

Hi tim :smile:

Well I am not familiar with this. though I have used sine rule in physics. Please tell me why am I expected to make a triangle ?? and what shall I do with this thing? Simply applying:

sin a /a=sin b/ b =sin c /c wont solve my purpose, i have tried it. :wink:
    regards

5. Sep 2, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

cosine rule for triangles …

ah … perhaps you haven't done the cosine rule for triangles …

a2 = b2 + c2 - 2bc cosA​

so the reason to make this particular triangle is because the first two equations given are the cosine rule for two triangles, both with one side of length a = 1, and both with opposite angle π - θ, one with the other sides of length m and m', and the other n and n'.

(check for yourself that the cosine rule really does give those two equations for those triangles)

Draw those triangles, and apply the sine rule to get m and m' in terms of θ and φ, and n and n' in terms of θ and ψ.

Then plug those values into the third given equation, which should give you a nice relationship between θ φ and ψ. :smile:

6. Sep 2, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: draw the triangle!

Because the cosine law says that if a triangle has sides of length a, b, c and A is the angle opposite side A, then c2= a2+ b2- 2ab cos(A).

The equation [itex]m^2+ m'^2+ 2mm'cos(\theta)= 1[/quote] differs from that only only in having "+" instead of "-". Since [itex]cos(\pi- \theta)= -cos(\theta[/itex]), that should make you think of a triangle having sides of length m, m', and 1 and having angle [itex]\pi- \theta[/itex] opposite the side of length 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?