Are These Vector Function Statements True or False?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of curvature, orthogonality, and different parametrizations resulting in identical tangent vectors for a given point on a curve. It is stated that if k(t)=0, the curve is a straight line, and if the magnitude of r(t)=1 for all t, then r'(t) is orthogonal to r(t). However, it is pointed out that different parametrizations of the same curve can result in different tangent vectors at a given point. The conversation also touches on the relationship between the parametrization and the resulting curve, with examples given for a curve in the x-y plane.
zhuyilun

Homework Statement

True or False:
a. if k(t)=o, the curve is a straight line
b. if the magnitude of r(t)=1 for all t then r'(t) is orthogonalo to r(t)
c. different parametrizations of the same curve result in identical tangent vectors at a given point

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. k(t) is the curvature, which means T'(t) is zero, but what does T'(t)= 0 tells me?
b. if the magnitude of r(t)=1, is the r(t) just a circle/sphere? if r(t) is a sphere, is r'(t) orthogonal to r(t)?
c. i think its true, but i don't know why

Physics news on Phys.org
"k(t) is the curvature, which means T'(t) is zero, but what does T'(t)= 0 tells me?"

It tells you that T(t) is a constant vector. What does that tell you?

If r(t) is a curve, how could it be a sphere?
Does a curve on the surface of a sphere have to be a circle?

what about the last question? i think it is right, but i don't know why

For b, the magnitude of r(t) is sqrt(r(t).r(t))=1. DIfferentiate that expression. Squaring both sides first makes it a little easier. c is false. Let r(t)=(t,0) and r(t)=(-t,0). What's the tangent vector in each case?

Last edited:
Dick said:
For b, the magnitude of r(t) is sqrt(r(t).r(t))=1. DIfferentiate that expression. Squaring both sides first makes it a little easier. c is false. Let r(t)=(t,0) and r(t)=(-t,0). What's the tangent vector in each case?

r(t)=(t,0) and r(t)=(-t,0) won't give you the same cure. i think (-t,0) is not the reparametrization for (t,0)

zhuyilun said:
r(t)=(t,0) and r(t)=(-t,0) won't give you the same cure. i think (-t,0) is not the reparametrization for (t,0)

r(t)=(t,0) and r(t)=(-t,0) for t in R are both parametrizations of the curve y=0 in the x-y plane. So for that matter is (t^3,0). Unless you have a much more specific notion of 'reparametrization' in mind. And by 'tangent' do you mean the unit tangent or just r'(t)?

Last edited:

1) What is a vector function?

A vector function is a mathematical function that maps a set of inputs to a set of outputs, where the outputs are represented as vectors. It is often used to describe the movement or change of an object in physics and engineering.

2) How is a vector function different from a scalar function?

A scalar function maps a set of inputs to a set of outputs, where the outputs are represented as scalars (numbers). On the other hand, a vector function maps inputs to outputs represented as vectors. This means that a vector function takes into account both magnitude and direction.

3) What are some common examples of vector functions?

Some common examples of vector functions include displacement, velocity, acceleration, force, and electric/magnetic fields. These functions are often used in physics and engineering to describe the movement or change of objects.

4) How do you graph a vector function?

To graph a vector function, you can plot the points on a coordinate system using the input values as the x-axis and the corresponding output vectors as the y-axis. The resulting graph will show the direction and magnitude of the vector at each input value.

5) How can vector functions be used in real-world applications?

Vector functions have many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering to model the movement of objects, in computer graphics for rendering 3D images, in navigation systems for calculating routes and directions, and in data analysis for representing and analyzing multi-dimensional data.