1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic vector function questions

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    True or False:
    a. if k(t)=o, the curve is a straight line
    b. if the magnitude of r(t)=1 for all t then r'(t) is orthogonalo to r(t)
    c. different parametrizations of the same curve result in identical tangent vectors at a given point

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a. k(t) is the curvature, which means T'(t) is zero, but what does T'(t)= 0 tells me?
    b. if the magnitude of r(t)=1, is the r(t) just a circle/sphere? if r(t) is a sphere, is r'(t) orthogonal to r(t)?
    c. i think its true, but i dont know why

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"k(t) is the curvature, which means T'(t) is zero, but what does T'(t)= 0 tells me?"

It tells you that T(t) is a constant vector. What does that tell you?

If r(t) is a curve, how could it be a sphere?
    Does a curve on the surface of a sphere have to be a circle?

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
    what about the last question? i think it is right, but i dont know why

5. Oct 2, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For b, the magnitude of r(t) is sqrt(r(t).r(t))=1. DIfferentiate that expression. Squaring both sides first makes it a little easier. c is false. Let r(t)=(t,0) and r(t)=(-t,0). What's the tangent vector in each case?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  6. Oct 2, 2009 #5
    r(t)=(t,0) and r(t)=(-t,0) wont give you the same cure. i think (-t,0) is not the reparametrization for (t,0)

7. Oct 2, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

r(t)=(t,0) and r(t)=(-t,0) for t in R are both parametrizations of the curve y=0 in the x-y plane. So for that matter is (t^3,0). Unless you have a much more specific notion of 'reparametrization' in mind. And by 'tangent' do you mean the unit tangent or just r'(t)?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook