Proof of Trace Orthogonality Relation for Matrices $\Gamma^A$

In summary, it is possible to show that a matrix M can be expanded in the basis Γ^A by substituting the first equation for M in the second and verifying that the RHS is equal to m_A. However, to prove that an arbitrary vector in the vector space is in the subspace spanned by an orthonormal set, a different approach is needed.
gentsagree
I know that the matrices {[itex]\Gamma^{A}[/itex]} obey the trace orthogonality relation [itex]Tr(\Gamma^{A}\Gamma_{B})=2^{m}\delta^{A}_{B}[/itex]

In order to show that a matrix M can be expanded in the basis [itex]\Gamma^{A}[/itex] in the following way

[tex]M=\sum_{A}m_{A}\Gamma^{A}[/tex]
[tex]m_{A}=\frac{1}{2^{m}}Tr(M\Gamma_{A})[/tex]

is it enough to just substitute the first equation for M in the second, and work out that the RHS is indeed equal to [itex]m_{A}[/itex] (using the orthogonality), or is this just a mere verification, and not a proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you're proving there is that if a vector ##v## is in the subspace spanned by an orthonormal set ##\{e_i\}##, then ##v=\sum_i \langle e_i,v\rangle e_i##.

To prove that an arbitrary ##v## in your vector space is in the subspace spanned by that orthonormal set, you will have to do something else. You will have to write down a definition of that specific vector space, and then use it somehow.

What is the proof of the trace orthogonality relation for matrices $\Gamma^A$?

The proof of the trace orthogonality relation for matrices $\Gamma^A$ is a mathematical demonstration that shows the relationship between the trace of two matrices and their orthogonality. It is often used in the field of quantum mechanics to prove the orthogonality of different states.

Why is the proof of the trace orthogonality relation important?

The proof of the trace orthogonality relation is important because it provides a mathematical basis for understanding the orthogonality of states in quantum mechanics. It allows for the calculation of probabilities and the study of quantum systems.

What are the assumptions made in the proof of the trace orthogonality relation?

The proof of the trace orthogonality relation assumes that the matrices $\Gamma^A$ are Hermitian, meaning that they are equal to their own conjugate transpose. It also assumes that the matrices are traceless, meaning that the sum of their diagonal elements is equal to zero.

How is the proof of the trace orthogonality relation derived?

The proof of the trace orthogonality relation is derived using the properties of matrix multiplication and the fact that the trace of a product of two matrices is equal to the sum of their individual traces. It also involves using the properties of Hermitian and traceless matrices.

Are there any applications of the proof of the trace orthogonality relation?

Yes, the proof of the trace orthogonality relation has various applications in the field of quantum mechanics. It is used to prove the orthogonality of different quantum states, calculate probabilities, and study the behavior of quantum systems. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics and physics, such as in the study of Lie algebras.