Finding a Basis for S: Polynomials in P3 with Specific Form

• Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, the subspace S of P[SUB]3[SUB] consisting of all polynomials of the form ax2+bx+2a+3b has a basis consisting of x2+6x-2 and x+3.
Dustinsfl
My mind is shot.

Let S be a subspace of P3 consisting of all polynomials of the form ax2+bx+2a+3b. Find a basis for S.

I am not sure where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the coefficients for P3 in? Are a, b elements of some field?
Find a generating set for this subspace. How about {x2, x, ...}? What else should be in there to generate S?

Try "factoring out a". It can't factor out of everything, but try factoring it out of all the terms you can.

--------

If that doesn't make sense, try to get a feel for what the subspace is by choosing values for a and b.
For instance, which element does a = 2, b = 0 give you?

Last edited:
Then set that equal to 0? Also factor out b the same way?

My hint about factoring is purposefully vague. What did you get when you tried factoring out the a?

However, yes, if you correctly factor out the "a"s and the "b"s, you should start to see the answer.

a(x2+2)+b(x+3)

I can then set up the Wronskian.

Do you know what to do now, or do you still have questions?

I am still confused but I evaluated the Wronskian. How can I come up with the basis now?
W=x^2+6x-2

We have all the information now. We just need to realize what we have.

(1)
Every element of S can be written as
a(x2+2) + b(x+3)
This shows that (x2+2) and (x+3) generate S (also, setting a=1,b=0 or vice versa shows that they're in S).

(2)
The Wronskian of these two elements is x2+6x-2, which is not identically zero. This shows that these two elements are linearly independent.

A linearly independent generating set is precisely a basis, so these two polynomials form your basis.

That is it?
Thanks.

What is the basis of P3?

The basis of P3, also known as Public-Private Partnership, is a collaboration between a government entity and a private company or organization to provide a public service or infrastructure project.

What are the key characteristics of a P3?

The key characteristics of a P3 include risk-sharing between the public and private sectors, long-term contracts, and a focus on delivering high-quality and cost-effective services or infrastructure.

What are the benefits of P3?

P3s have several benefits, including access to private sector expertise and resources, faster project delivery, and improved efficiency and innovation. They can also reduce the financial burden on the government and provide better value for taxpayers.

What are the challenges of P3?

Some of the challenges of P3 include finding the right balance of risk allocation between the public and private sectors, ensuring transparency and accountability, and addressing potential conflicts of interest. There may also be concerns about privatizing public services and potential cost overruns.

What industries commonly use P3?

P3s are commonly used in industries such as transportation, energy and utilities, healthcare, and education. They can also be used for public services such as waste management, water treatment, and social housing.