1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Basketball player kimetics

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A basketball player jumped straight up to grab a
    rebound. If she was in the air for 0.80 second,
    how high did she jump?
    (1) 0.50 m (3) 1.2 m
    (2) 0.78 m (4) 3.1 m

2. Relevant equations

d=Vit + 1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    my calculations lead to '4' as my final answer, but the book tells me otherwise. There must be something I am missing. need help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: Kinemtics

The player is initially at rest and is only subjected to the acceleration of gravity.

4. Jan 18, 2010 #3

Exactly!, thats i also assumed and if u work it out with that formula the answer turns out 3.1 m/s... but the book says my answer should be 1.2m/s.... doesn't make any sense to me at all.

5. Jan 18, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well actually '2' seems to work out more, I don't know how your book for 1.2m.

At the highest point, t=0.4s.

6. Jan 18, 2010 #5

The problem is that the player's initial velocity is not zero, but unknown. I need to be on my way or I give the eq. you need.

7. Jan 18, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi majormuss! :smile:

She reached the top after 0.40 seconds, so the question is the same as 'how far does something fall in 0.40 seconds?' :wink:

8. Jan 18, 2010 #7

thanks bro, that was very helpful...it turns the answer was really '2', I misread!.. thanx everyone.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook