Bat (mammal, not baseball) care

• Thread starter globaleliz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Baseball
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on what to do about a downed bat on their balcony in Thailand. They have left meal worms and water out for it, but are unsure of how to help it return to the wild. There is concern about rabies and the individual is hesitant to touch the bat. Some suggestions are given, including not handling the bat, leaving a dish of water nearby, and possibly trying to create a roost for the bat. There is also a suggestion to spray the bat with insecticide, but this is not recommended. The individual expresses sadness and helplessness in the situation and thanks those who offered helpful advice.
globaleliz
I have a downed bat on my balcony (5th floor apartment) and I have pretty much no idea what to do to help it. It has some movement - it can crawl back under my washing machine. Tonight I left some meal worms and a shallow container of water out for it. I live in THAILAND and it is not like I can pick up the phone book and look for a "bat doctor". I need help so I know what to do so that it will not die and possibly return to the wild. Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yikes! In North America, bats are known to be rabies carriers. The standard advice here is, do not touch a bat, especially a sick one. I don't know if rabies is an issue in Thailand, but until you do a bit of research on that, don't touch it!

http://www.bats.org.uk/
Yeah, it's a UK site but it seems to have a lot of advice on how to help a bat you "found on the ground".

awww bats are cute! I'm guessing wrap it in a towel and keep in warm - its warm blooded like a mouse or something? don't know what it eats tho - depends on the species. Wear thick gloves cos they may bite! put it in a box with a soft cloth for it to crawl into.

To all concerned, I do have my current rabies shots. I am not planning on touching it. It is nice and warm here in Thailand - so I don't have to worry about it getting cold. I wore thick gloves and a long sleeve shirt when I went out and left the meal worms for it last night. I don't want to pick it up - the less you touch wild animals the better (for everyone involved). I just know that most species of bats are endangered - and if I can help the little guy get better and move on...I really want to. Any more advice?

globaleliz said:
To all concerned, I do have my current rabies shots. I am not planning on touching it. It is nice and warm here in Thailand - so I don't have to worry about it getting cold. I wore thick gloves and a long sleeve shirt when I went out and left the meal worms for it last night. I don't want to pick it up - the less you touch wild animals the better (for everyone involved). I just know that most species of bats are endangered - and if I can help the little guy get better and move on...I really want to. Any more advice?

I'm not sure they eat worms, most bats I know of eat flying insects. Can you leave a dish of water nearby?

It might be sad, but the fact is you are probably wasting your time.

It probably won't recognize anything as "food" unless it can catch it itself while flying.
Small mammals need a large amount of food in proportion to their body size compared with big ones. Most likely the only way to feed by hand would be giving it regular shots of glucose or milk (say evey 30 minutes) straight down its throat with a liquid dropper, which would of course mean handling it regularly. But getting the amount wrong will probably give it diarrhea and kill it anyway.

It is unlikely to survive much longer than 24 hours with no food and by then it will probably be too weak to fly and catch its own food, even if it isn't injured.

It might sound cruel, but putting it out of its misery with a quick death is probably kinder than letting it die slowly.

If it look OK, your best bet would be to try to make something so it can roost "normally" (probably hanging upside down from a small piece of wood, or something similar) outside, so it can fly away on its own when it gets dark.

Spray it with some insecticide in the face. Don't give me this animal rights BS, you killed worms to feed it, so you're not saving any lives here.

Curl said:
Spray it with some insecticide in the face. Don't give me this animal rights BS, you killed worms to feed it, so you're not saving any lives here.

That would only irritate and hurt it, why would you suggest doing that?

Alpha Zero you are right. I feel helpless and so sad for the bat. I guess this is why I did not become a vet...every animal that I would die would take a part of me with them. Guess I am just a sap.

But thank you to all the people who offered helpful advice!

globaleliz said:
Alpha Zero you are right. I feel helpless and so sad for the bat. I guess this is why I did not become a vet...every animal that I would die would take a part of me with them. Guess I am just a sap.

But thank you to all the people who offered helpful advice!

Your existence kills a lot of life everyday. Just think about that.

1. What do bats eat?

Bats are omnivorous, meaning they eat both plants and animals. The specific diet of a bat depends on its species, but most bats eat insects, fruits, and nectar.

2. How do you care for a pet bat?

Before considering a bat as a pet, it's important to know that in many places, it is illegal to keep a bat as a pet. If it is legal, bats require specialized care and diet, so it's best to consult with a veterinarian who has experience with bats.

3. How do you handle a bat safely?

If you find a bat in your home or elsewhere, it's best to contact a professional wildlife control expert. Bats can carry diseases such as rabies, and it's important to handle them with care and avoid direct contact.

4. How do bats sleep?

Bats are nocturnal animals, meaning they are active at night and sleep during the day. They typically sleep upside down, hanging from their feet, and use their wings to maintain their position.

5. Do bats make good pets?

Bats are not suitable pets for most people. They have specific dietary and environmental needs that can be challenging to meet. Additionally, bats are wild animals and are best left in their natural habitat. It is important to remember that bats are not domesticated animals and should not be kept as pets.