How Does Electric Current Flow Through a Resistor in a Parallel Battery Circuit?

• Thread starter Lindsayyyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, the problem involves two parallel connected batteries with internal electrical resistances R1 and R2, and a resistance R of 5 ohm. The task is to determine the electric current flowing through R. The poster attempts to use the formula U=I*R and sum the resistances, but is unsure about how to proceed. The poster requests hints and clarification on whether the resistors should be treated as parallel or not. Another poster provides a figure and points out that the resistors are not actually parallel, and suggests using Kirchhoff's voltage law or the nodal method to solve the problem.
Lindsayyyy

Homework Statement

Two parallel connected batteries with internal electrical resistances R1 and R2 are connected with a resistance R of 5 ohm. Which electric current flows through R.

Homework Equations

U=I*R

U= voltage
R= resistance
I= electric current

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi everyone,

I have some trouble with this exercise as I'm fairly new to electrodynamics. The only idea I got so far was to sum the resistances as you do it when they are parallel connected:

1/R=1/R1+1/R2...

But then I have no idea how to go on. I could just calculate the R and insert it to the given formula I wrote down, but I'm far away from a specific answer to my question.
Can anyone give me some hints how I can solve this? Is there anything I'm missing?

Sorry for my bad english and for my lack of LaTex skill.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Regards lindsayyyy

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the attached figure match your circuit? Are the battery voltages, V1 and V2 equal?

Note that there are no parallel resistors in this circuit. There are two loops to solve using Kircchoff's voltage law, or if you prefer, a single node with three branches using the nodal method with branch currents.

Attachments

• Fig6.gif
    Fig6.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 480
Thanks for your answer, your attached file looks like it should be. Sorry for forgetting a drawing of the problem.
The voltages are the same I guess, none are given at least.

edit: no parallel resistors? hm. Do I have to make a difference between inner resistors and the one with 5 ohm ? Am I not allowed to treach them as parallel ones?

Lindsayyyy said:
Thanks for your answer, your attached file looks like it should be. Sorry for forgetting a drawing of the problem.
The voltages are the same I guess, none are given at least.

edit: no parallel resistors? hm. Do I have to make a difference between inner resistors and the one with 5 ohm ? Am I not allowed to treach them as parallel ones?

They are not parallel: none of the resistors are connected to each other at both ends.

You can write branch voltage equations for the three branches that connect at node A using the currents as indicated, and solve the resulting equations for the desired current, I3.

Attachments

• Fig7.gif
    Fig7.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 455

Hi lindsayyyy,

Don't worry, we were all new to electrodynamics at some point! You are on the right track with summing the resistances in parallel, but you also need to take into account the voltage of each battery. The total voltage across the circuit can be found by adding the voltage of each battery (U1 and U2) and the voltage across the resistance (UR). This can be expressed as:

Utotal = U1 + U2 + UR

Then, using Ohm's law, we can rearrange the equation to solve for the current (I) as follows:

I = (Utotal - U1 - U2) / R

Since we know the values of U1, U2, and R, we can plug them in and solve for the current (I). I hope this helps! Keep practicing and you'll become more comfortable with these types of problems. Good luck!

Best,

1. How do batteries produce electricity?

Batteries produce electricity through a chemical reaction between the positive and negative electrodes inside the battery. This reaction causes a flow of electrons from the negative electrode to the positive electrode, creating an electrical current.

2. What is the difference between a battery and a cell?

A battery is made up of multiple cells, while a cell is the individual unit that produces electricity. A battery combines multiple cells to increase the overall voltage and current.

3. What is the purpose of resistors in a circuit?

Resistors are used to limit the flow of current in a circuit. They are commonly used to control the amount of voltage or current in a specific part of a circuit, and to protect components from damage.

4. How do resistors affect voltage and current?

Resistors affect voltage and current by reducing the flow of electrons in a circuit. This reduction in flow results in a decrease in voltage and current. The amount of resistance in a circuit is measured in ohms (Ω).

5. How do you calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current (R=V/I). It can also be calculated using the color code on the resistor, which indicates the resistance value in ohms.