Batteries in Parallel vs Series

In summary: So in summary, when batteries are in series, the output voltage doubles and when they are in parallel, the output current doubles. This affects the brightness of the bulb because the current and voltage are related through Ohm's Law. In parallel, there is more energy available, so the bulb can shine for a longer period of time. However, it is not recommended to parallel real-world batteries due to the potential difference in states of charge. Is there anything else that affects the brightness of the bulb in these scenarios?
Bikrypto
I seem to lack a conceptual understanding of how batteries in series and parallel affect the brightness of a bulb. I understand that current adds when batteries are in parallel and that voltage adds when batteries are in series, but why does 2 batteries in series make a bulb more bright than two batteries in parallel. If the power output of the bulb is P = I^2*R = V^2/R, and if parallel doubles the current and series doubles the voltage, why is series brighter. I think I lack an understanding of how current and voltage affect the brightness of a bulb and would like an explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bikrypto said:
I seem to lack a conceptual understanding of how batteries in series and parallel affect the brightness of a bulb. I understand that current adds when batteries are in parallel and that voltage adds when batteries are in series, but why does 2 batteries in series make a bulb more bright than two batteries in parallel. If the power output of the bulb is P = I^2*R = V^2/R, and if parallel doubles the current and series doubles the voltage, why is series brighter. I think I lack an understanding of how current and voltage affect the brightness of a bulb and would like an explanation.

Welcome to the PF.

You need to also think in terms of Ohm's Law V = I * R

When you parallel the batteries, the output voltage stays the same, so the current does not double. The current depends on the output voltage and the resistance of the bulb.

When you add 2 batteries in series, you double the output voltage, which doubles the current through the bulb's resistance R.

Batteries have an internal resistance as well, so if you try to draw too much current out of them (using too low a resistance light bulb), then their output voltage drops some.

Does that make more sense?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

You need to also think in terms of Ohm's Law V = I * R

When you parallel the batteries, the output voltage stays the same, so the current does not double. The current depends on the output voltage and the resistance of the bulb.

When you add 2 batteries in series, you double the output voltage, which doubles the current through the bulb's resistance R.

Batteries have an internal resistance as well, so if you try to draw too much current out of them (using too low a resistance light bulb), then their output voltage drops some.

Does that make more sense?
That does make sense, but then what changes when batteries are in parallel? Based on your response I think I understand why the bulb is brighter, but now I'm curious as to what the advantages of parallel batteries are. I read somewhere that they will increase how long a bulb will shine? What changes in 1 battery versus 2 in parallel to cause this? Thanks so much for replying.

Bikrypto said:
That does make sense, but then what changes when batteries are in parallel? Based on your response I think I understand why the bulb is brighter, but now I'm curious as to what the advantages of parallel batteries are. I read somewhere that they will increase how long a bulb will shine? What changes in 1 battery versus 2 in parallel to cause this? Thanks so much for replying.

Yes, there is more energy available when you parallel 2 batteries, so the bulb will shine twice as long.

Keep in mind that it is usually a bad idea to try to parallel real-world batteries, as they will usually have slightly different states of charge, and hence slightly different output voltages. This can lead to the higher voltage battery trying to "charge" the lower battery up to its higher state of charge, which does not work well for non-rechargeable batteries. Batteries are sometimes paralleled in the real world, but with some precautions taken to ensure they are always at the same level of charge and discharge.

berkeman said:
Yes, there is more energy available when you parallel 2 batteries, so the bulb will shine twice as long.

Keep in mind that it is usually a bad idea to try to parallel real-world batteries, as they will usually have slightly different states of charge, and hence slightly different output voltages. This can lead to the higher voltage battery trying to "charge" the lower battery up to its higher state of charge, which does not work well for non-rechargeable batteries. Batteries are sometimes paralleled in the real world, but with some precautions taken to ensure they are always at the same level of charge and discharge.
Thanks! I think I understand the topic a bit better now.

Likes berkeman

What is the difference between batteries in parallel and series?

Batteries in parallel are connected by their positive and negative terminals to increase the overall capacity of the battery pack. This means that the voltage remains the same, but the capacity is added. On the other hand, batteries in series are connected by linking the positive end of one battery to the negative end of another, increasing the overall voltage of the battery pack while keeping the capacity the same.

Which configuration is better for increasing voltage?

Batteries in series are better for increasing voltage, as the voltage of each battery is added together. For example, two 1.5V batteries in series would result in a total voltage of 3V.

Which configuration is better for increasing capacity?

Batteries in parallel are better for increasing capacity, as the capacity of each battery is added together. For example, two 2000mAh batteries in parallel would result in a total capacity of 4000mAh.

What happens if one battery in a series or parallel configuration fails?

If one battery in a series configuration fails, the entire battery pack will stop working as the circuit is broken. However, in a parallel configuration, the other batteries will continue to function, but the overall capacity of the pack will be reduced.

Can batteries of different voltages or capacities be connected in series or parallel?

No, it is not recommended to connect batteries of different voltages or capacities in series or parallel as it can cause imbalances and damage to the batteries. It is best to use batteries with the same specifications in a series or parallel configuration.