Battery life using 6000 watt inverter

In summary, using four 125 ah deep cycle batteries connected in parallel, with a 6000 watt inverter and a 12 amp 120 volt AC load, you should be able to operate for approximately 90 minutes before the batteries reach 50% capacity, assuming the inverter has an efficiency of 80%. It is important to regularly recharge the batteries and use batteries of the same type and age to avoid premature aging.
ggpa
I have four 125 ah batteries powering a 6000 watt inverter. The inverter is supposed to have a no load draw of 2 amps. I have a 12 amp 120volt Ac load. How long should I be able to operate before drawing my batteries to 50%

Engineering news on Phys.org
By the way, the batteries are 12 volt deep cycle. They are connected in parallel

Using very rough numbers, about 2 kwh from those 4 batteries.

A better way to express it is to recharge whenever the loaded voltage drops below 12V, of 12.2V when rested and at no load.

ggpa said:
I have four 125 ah batteries powering a 6000 watt inverter. The inverter is supposed to have a no load draw of 2 amps. I have a 12 amp 120volt Ac load. How long should I be able to operate before drawing my batteries to 50%

The output of the inverter is..
12A * 120V = 1440W
If the inverter was 100% efficient then the input would also be 1440W but that's unlikely. Efficiencies of >80% are possible. Using 80% that gives an input power of

1440/0.8 = 1800W
At 12V that's a current of

1800/12 = 150A or 37.5A per battery.

You say they have a nominal capacity of 125AH but only want to use 50% so they can deliver that 37.5A for
125/(2*37.5) = 1.6 hours. Call it 90 mins.

Your mileage may vary! Check the actual efficiency of your inverter.

Put the inverter as close as possible to the batteries and use fat cables. At 80% efficiency the inverter dissipates 1800-1440 = 360W so allow for cooling air flow.

I used a lot of lead acid batteries in the 1980's amd 90's. I found the key to long life is never to leave them discharged for long, get them back on a charger as soon as possible, ideally within hours of use. I found if you regularly left one party discharged for a week they didn't last long, well under a year. Once I got into the habit of leaving them on a float charger all the time they started to live a lot longer.

Batteries connected in parallel should be of the same type and the same age or they will (very likely) 'age' prematurely. Charge and discharge currents will not be shared equally if you use different batteries and using four random batteries can be false economy even if you get them cheap. Your deep cycle choice was good. The only good thing about car start batteries is that they can give you hundreds of Amps when needed.

Likes CWatters

1. How long will a 6000 watt inverter run on a battery?

The duration of a 6000 watt inverter's battery life will depend on the capacity of the battery, the efficiency of the inverter, and the power consumption of the devices being run. For example, if a 6000 watt inverter is connected to a fully charged 100 amp-hour battery and is powering devices that consume a total of 3000 watts, the battery will last approximately 2.5 hours (100 amp-hours / 3000 watts = 0.033 hours or 2.5 minutes). However, if the devices being run consume more power, the battery life will be shorter.

2. Can I use a 6000 watt inverter with any type of battery?

It is important to use a battery that is compatible with the 6000 watt inverter. This means that the battery must have a voltage and capacity that is suitable for the inverter. Additionally, the battery must be able to handle the high currents that the inverter will draw. It is recommended to consult the inverter's manual for specific battery requirements.

3. Is it safe to use a 6000 watt inverter with a car battery?

It is generally safe to use a 6000 watt inverter with a car battery, as long as the battery is in good condition and meets the voltage and capacity requirements of the inverter. However, it is important to note that using a car battery for extended periods of time can drain the battery and potentially damage it. It is recommended to use a deep cycle battery designed for powering inverters for longer periods of time.

4. Can I connect multiple batteries to a 6000 watt inverter for longer battery life?

Yes, it is possible to connect multiple batteries together to increase the overall battery life of a 6000 watt inverter. This is known as a battery bank. However, it is important to ensure that the batteries are properly connected in series or parallel to avoid damaging the inverter or the batteries.

5. How can I prolong the battery life of my 6000 watt inverter?

To prolong the battery life of a 6000 watt inverter, it is important to use a high quality battery that is compatible with the inverter. It is also recommended to not discharge the battery completely and to recharge it as soon as possible. Regular maintenance, such as cleaning the battery terminals and checking for any damage, can also help to extend the battery life. Additionally, using the inverter within its recommended power limits can help prevent excessive strain on the battery.