Calculating Batteries to Power a PC - A Curious Question

A LED would be 1.5 Watt (1.5 V x 1.0 A).You can't power a 12 Volt LED with 1 AA battery, because that LED will be rated for 12 Volt of at least 1 Watt.
Dougieman1001
So 8 AA batteries is 1 Watt, I was just wondering how many batteries it would taje to power my PC for an hour, so if I have a 750W PSU you would do 8x750 to work out the amount of batteries, but is this per minute, second or hour?

This is just interest, not actually going to do it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Dougie, welcome to PF :smile: !

I would have guessed one AA battery would already be capable of delivering one Watt, but never mind.

The calculations go as follows: Delivering one Ampere of current at a voltage of 1 Volt over the load is one Watt of power.
One Watt of power is one Joule of energy per second. So for Watts given you never have to wonder whether that is per hour or per fortnight: it is one Joule per second.

To answer you rhetorical question, you would need to know for how long your battery can hold up this one Watt. Usually the makers don't tell you on the package. For rechargeable batteries you often find the capacity expressed in mAh -- milliAmps times hours. I have some that say 2500 mAh, meaning that they can deliver 1 Ampere for a period of 2.5 hours (when fully charged and in good condition, at reasonable temperature, etcetera etcetera. I wouldn't bet on it too heavily...). Or one half amp for 5 hours. 2.5 Amp for one hour is asking an awful lot (they heat up internally, a waste of ... yes, energy).

Suppose an AA battery can deliver 2400 mAh at 1.5 Volt. With 80 AA batteries you would get 120 Volt. 750 Watt at 120 Volt means about 6.25 Ampere. So with six sets in parallel of these sets of 80 AA batteries, each set would have to cough up 1.04 Ampere. Still with me ? Each and every one of these 480 batteries can claim (in theory) to be able to keep up this 1.04 Ampere for a time of around 2.4 Ampere hour / 1.04 Ampere = 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Pretty expensive experiment ! In reality you'll be a lot better off, because on average your PC doesn't gobble up these 750 Watts at all. It is boasting 750 W peak but it would be a room heater if it did that continuously.

How about that for a verbose answer to a simple rhetorical question !

--

Likes Dougieman1001
BvU said:
Hello Dougie, welcome to PF :smile: !

I would have guessed one AA battery would already be capable of delivering one Watt, but never mind.

The calculations go as follows: Delivering one Ampere of current at a voltage of 1 Volt over the load is one Watt of power.
One Watt of power is one Joule of energy per second. So for Watts given you never have to wonder whether that is per hour or per fortnight: it is one Joule per second.

To answer you rhetorical question, you would need to know for how long your battery can hold up this one Watt. Usually the makers don't tell you on the package. For rechargeable batteries you often find the capacity expressed in mAh -- milliAmps times hours. I have some that say 2500 mAh, meaning that they can deliver 1 Ampere for a period of 2.5 hours (when fully charged and in good condition, at reasonable temperature, etcetera etcetera. I wouldn't bet on it too heavily...). Or one half amp for 5 hours. 2.5 Amp for one hour is asking an awful lot (they heat up internally, a waste of ... yes, energy).

Suppose an AA battery can deliver 2400 mAh at 1.5 Volt. With 80 AA batteries you would get 120 Volt. 750 Watt at 120 Volt means about 6.25 Ampere. So with six sets in parallel of these sets of 80 AA batteries, each set would have to cough up 1.04 Ampere. Still with me ? Each and every one of these 480 batteries can claim (in theory) to be able to keep up this 1.04 Ampere for a time of around 2.4 Ampere hour / 1.04 Ampere = 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Pretty expensive experiment ! In reality you'll be a lot better off, because on average your PC doesn't gobble up these 750 Watts at all. It is boasting 750 W peak but it would be a room heater if it did that continuously.

How about that for a verbose answer to a simple rhetorical question !

--
Well, I wasn't expecting that response! Still taking it in, but thanks! :D

Thanks for the answer :D

1 AA Battery is 1.5v and 1 watt is 12v Right?
AA batteries are 1.5 Volt, yes.

1 Watt is not 12 V. ##\quad## 1 Watt is 1 Volt times 1 Ampere.

So one AA battery powering a 100 mA LED would be 0.15 Watt (1.5 V x 0.1 A)

1. How do I calculate the number of batteries needed to power a PC?

To calculate the number of batteries needed to power a PC, you will need to know the wattage of your PC's power supply unit (PSU). Divide the wattage by the voltage of the batteries you plan to use (usually 1.5V for alkaline batteries) and then divide that number by the amp-hour rating of the batteries. This will give you the number of batteries needed to power your PC.

2. What type of batteries should I use to power a PC?

The type of batteries you should use to power a PC depends on the wattage of your PC and the amount of time you want the batteries to last. Generally, rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are the best option as they have a high energy density and can provide long-term power. However, for low-wattage PCs, alkaline batteries may be a more cost-effective option.

3. How long will the batteries last when powering a PC?

The length of time the batteries will last when powering a PC depends on the wattage of your PC and the amp-hour rating of the batteries. To calculate the estimated battery life, divide the total amp-hour rating of the batteries by the wattage of your PC. This will give you the estimated number of hours the batteries will last.

4. Can I use multiple batteries in a series or parallel to power a PC?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple batteries in a series or parallel to power a PC. In a series connection, the positive end of one battery is connected to the negative end of the next battery, increasing the overall voltage. In a parallel connection, all positive ends are connected together and all negative ends are connected together, increasing the overall amp-hour rating.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using batteries to power a PC?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using batteries to power a PC. Make sure to use the correct type and size of batteries for your PC. Avoid mixing different types or brands of batteries. Also, be careful when connecting batteries in series or parallel to prevent short circuits. It is also important to properly dispose of used batteries and not to overcharge or overheat them.