Baxter novel factoid or fictoid?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Novel
In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Proxima" by Stephen Baxter and the use of science in his writing. The conversation specifically mentions a passage describing a second spaceship's journey through different domains, including the "radius of the sun's gravitational focus" and "light from distant stars collects." The speakers are unsure of the accuracy of these descriptions and question whether the author has taken scientific principles into account. They also discuss the concept of gravitational lensing and its potential relevance to the passage.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've just finished reading Stephen Baxter's Proxima - a gritty telling on the first interstellar voyage and colonization of P. Centauri.

I like to think that, while Baxter pens audacious and fanciful stories about exploration, he is not one to simply fabricate physics like some Jules Vernian sci-fantasy. So it is with raised eyebrow that I recount a passage from the book.

A second, faster spaceship has been launched from Earth. The AI pilot describes its outbound journey:

"...I passed through the heliopause, the boundary where the thin wind that blows between the stars dominates over the weakening stream from the sun. But since then I have passed through many interesting domains: the radius of the sun's gravitational focus, where light from distant stars collects, after ten days, and I emerged from the Kuiper belt of Pluto-like ice worlds some days after that." [emphasis mine]

What?? "radius of the sun's gravitational focus"? "light from distant stars collects"?

That sounds like word salad to me. No, worse. It sounds like the writing of some budding young sci-fi author who never took a science course.

Surely an esteemed author would not do such a thing. Can you make heads or tails of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
"light from distant stars collects"?
Perhaps from antipodal stars? How to pick them out from the solar illumination is a bit unclear.

I think he means gravitational lensing, I remember reading somewhere that this occurs hundreds of astronomical units distance from the sun, you would have to block out the light of the sun and probably the frequencies coming from the corona.

Likes Medicol

1. What is a factoid or fictoid in the context of a Baxter novel?

A factoid or fictoid in the context of a Baxter novel refers to a piece of information or detail that is presented as fact, but may not be entirely accurate or is not supported by evidence.

2. How can I distinguish between a factoid and a fictoid in a Baxter novel?

The best way to distinguish between a factoid and a fictoid in a Baxter novel is to do your own research and fact-check the information presented in the novel. Look for reliable sources and evidence to support the information.

3. Are factoids and fictoids commonly used in Baxter novels?

Yes, factoids and fictoids are often used in Baxter novels to add depth and complexity to the story. However, it is important to note that not all information presented in a novel is true or accurate.

4. Can factoids and fictoids impact the accuracy of a Baxter novel?

Yes, factoids and fictoids can potentially impact the accuracy of a Baxter novel if they are presented as fact and are not fact-checked or supported by evidence. This can lead to misinformation and confusion for readers.

5. How can factoids and fictoids affect the overall reading experience of a Baxter novel?

Factoids and fictoids can enhance the reading experience by adding layers of complexity and intrigue to the story. However, if they are used carelessly, they can also be a source of frustration and detract from the overall enjoyment of the novel.