1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BB Gun Muzzle Velocity

1. Jun 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A student decides to measure the muzzle velocity of a pellet shot from his gun. He points the gun horizontally. He places a target on a vertical wall a distance x away from the gun. The pellet hits the target a vertical distance y below the gun.
    (a) Show that the position of the pellet when traveling through the air is given by y = Ax^2, where A is a constant.
    (b) Express the constant A in terms of the initial velocity v and the free-fall acceleration g.
    (c) If x = 3 m and y = 0.21 m, what is the initial speed of the pellet?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can I assume vi is constant? For (a) I got y=x^2[g/(2vi^2)]. Is vi a constant? If so then I know to do it. If not can you help? Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The initial velocity is of a given magnitude and direction. While instantaneous velocity might change, the initial velocity is just a constant. Your equation, however, is almost correct, but not quite.

4. Jun 15, 2009 #3
    Hmm I tried it over and I still get the same answer. What did I do wrong?

5. Jun 15, 2009 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

O,so sorry, you are correct, I was reading your equation incorrectly.

6. Jun 15, 2009 #5
    Ok thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook