Need Help Converting BCD to 2 out of 5 with 6 Inputs and 8 Outputs?

• Thread starter VincentLorenz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converter
In summary, the conversation was about a person needing help with designing a Binary to 2-out-of-5 converter with 6 inputs and 8 outputs. They were struggling to understand the specifications for a commercial chip and only had a basic understanding of converting binary to 2-out-of-5 using a karnaugh map. The expert advises seeking help in a specialized forum for homework.
VincentLorenz
I badly needed help.. I needed a Binary to 2 out of 5 converter with 6 inputs .. it should have 8 outputs.. HELP! :(

Engineering news on Phys.org
This spect sheet
http://www.utm.edu/staff/leeb/DM74185.pdf

Says that these DIP packages can be ganged together for any number of digits.

anorlunda said:
This spect sheet
http://www.utm.edu/staff/leeb/DM74185.pdf

Says that these DIP packages can be ganged together for any number of digits.

I don't understand it that much.. I just needed a design for Binary to 2-out-of-5 , with 6 inputs.. could you please help me on that :)

That make no sense. You want a design but you can not understand the spec sheet of a commercial chip?

What level of detail can you understand?

anorlunda said:
That make no sense. You want a design but you can not understand the spec sheet of a commercial chip?

What level of detail can you understand?

The basics were the only thing I know.. My teacher just gives this as a challenger and I don't understand it that much... The only thing I can understand at this point is about how we convert the binary to 2-out-of-5 using karnaugh map... then after that we're stuck on making the design with logic gates

I don't think your teacher intended for you to get the answer from a stranger on an online forum.

PF has a special section for seeking help on homework.

anorlunda said:
I don't think your teacher intended for you to get the answer from a stranger on an online forum.

PF has a special section for seeking help on homework.

oh okay :) thanks

1. What is a BCD to 2 out of 5 converter?

A BCD to 2 out of 5 converter is a digital logic circuit that converts binary-coded decimal (BCD) numbers to 2 out of 5 code. This type of conversion is commonly used in electronic devices for encoding and decoding purposes.

2. How does a BCD to 2 out of 5 converter work?

A BCD to 2 out of 5 converter works by taking a 4-bit BCD input and converting it into a 5-bit output using a specific algorithm. The output is in a format where only two bits are high at a time, representing the decimal value of the BCD input.

3. What are the advantages of using a BCD to 2 out of 5 converter?

One advantage of using a BCD to 2 out of 5 converter is that it allows for efficient encoding and decoding of BCD numbers. It also simplifies the process of converting BCD numbers to 2 out of 5 code, which can be useful in applications where this type of conversion is required frequently.

4. Where are BCD to 2 out of 5 converters commonly used?

BCD to 2 out of 5 converters are commonly used in electronic devices such as calculators, digital clocks, and electronic displays. They are also used in industrial applications for data encoding and decoding purposes.

5. Can a BCD to 2 out of 5 converter handle negative numbers?

No, a BCD to 2 out of 5 converter can only handle positive numbers. It is designed to convert BCD numbers, which only represent non-negative integers.