Solving Deflection Using Double Integration: Simplify or Integrate?

In summary, when using the double integration method to solve for deflection, you should integrate over the entire beam, not just a part of it. While the deflections at the step should be equal on either side, the slopes are not. Simplifying the integral before integrating or integrating it as it is may result in different values for the constants of integration. It is recommended to integrate the entire beam and use matching conditions to solve for the constants.
coolguy16
When using the double integration method to solve for deflection, do you simplify the integral before integrating or do you just integrate it? When i tried it with simplifying and without simplifying, I get a different value for the constant which results in different answers. For example in the question attached, between L<x<2L, i got EIv''=-3PL+2Px-P(x-L). When I integrated this and solved for the constants I got C3=PL^2. When I simplified the moment equation to EIv''=Px-2PL, i got C3=PL^2/2. I am kinda confused here. Which way is correct? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
coolguy16 said:
When using the double integration method to solve for deflection, do you simplify the integral before integrating or do you just integrate it? When i tried it with simplifying and without simplifying, I get a different value for the constant which results in different answers. For example in the question attached, between L<x<2L, i got EIv''=-3PL+2Px-P(x-L). When I integrated this and solved for the constants I got C3=PL^2. When I simplified the moment equation to EIv''=Px-2PL, i got C3=PL^2/2. I am kinda confused here. Which way is correct? Thanks
I'm not sure what you are doing here.

AFAIK, you can't use double integration over just part of the beam, and then determine the constant of integration at each step. You've got to integrate over the entire beam. In any event, since this is a cantilever beam, you know the slope and deflection are both zero only at x = 0, where the beam is fixed, not at x = L.

SteamKing said:
I'm not sure what you are doing here.

AFAIK, you can't use double integration over just part of the beam, and then determine the constant of integration at each step. You've got to integrate over the entire beam. In any event, since this is a cantilever beam, you know the slope and deflection are both zero only at x = 0, where the beam is fixed, not at x = L.

Thanks for replying. Yes I know you have to integrate over the entire beam. I used matching conditions since if I make a cut at x=L, I know the deflections will be similar at that point for each side. Between 0 and L, I solved for the constants and got zero since its at a fixed end. For C3 and C4 between L and 2L however I equated two equations together in order to solve for it. However, I'm getting different values for the constant depending on if I simplify the integral then solve or I just solve for it directly. Please let me know if you want me to demonstrate the steps I took if I'm not clear. Thanks!

coolguy16 said:
Thanks for replying. Yes I know you have to integrate over the entire beam. I used matching conditions since if I make a cut at x=L, I know the deflections will be similar at that point for each side. Between 0 and L, I solved for the constants and got zero since its at a fixed end. For C3 and C4 between L and 2L however I equated two equations together in order to solve for it. However, I'm getting different values for the constant depending on if I simplify the integral then solve or I just solve for it directly. Please let me know if you want me to demonstrate the steps I took if I'm not clear. Thanks!
I think you should integrate over the entire length of the beam. You might have to employ singularity functions to do this, but I think you will obtain the correct result.

You can split this beam in two at the step, and there will be a total of four constants of integration to determine for the deflections. Simplifying the integrals should not affect the determination of these constants.

Last edited:
SteamKing said:
I think you should integrate over the entire length of the beam. You might have to employ singularity functions to do this, but I think you will obtain the correct result.

While the deflections at the step should be equal on either side, the slopes are not.
We have not learned singularity functions and the professor said only double integration should be used if these questions appeared on a exam. Also, the slopes should be equal at that very point since its identical on both sides. I'm just unclear as of why I'm getting completely different answers if I simplify the integral before integrating it or integrating it as it is.

1. What is deflection and why is it important to solve?

Deflection refers to the amount of bending or deformation that occurs in a structure when it is subjected to external loads. It is important to solve because excessive deflection can cause structural failure and compromise the safety and stability of a structure.

2. How do you use double integration to solve for deflection?

Double integration is a mathematical method used to calculate the deflection of a structure by integrating the bending moment equation twice. This method is commonly used for solving for deflection in beams and other structural members.

3. Is it better to simplify or integrate when solving for deflection using double integration?

This depends on the complexity of the structure and the level of accuracy needed. Simplifying the integration can make the calculations easier but may result in less precise results. Integrating the equations without simplification may be more time-consuming but can yield more accurate results.

4. What are the limitations of using double integration to solve for deflection?

Double integration is a powerful tool for solving deflection, but it has its limitations. It is most effective for simple structures with constant cross-sections and loading conditions. For more complex structures, other methods such as the finite element method may be more suitable.

5. Are there any software programs available for solving deflection using double integration?

Yes, there are several software programs available that use the double integration method to solve for deflection. Some popular ones include SAP2000, STAAD.Pro, and ANSYS. These programs can handle more complex structures and provide more accurate results compared to hand calculations.