1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beam equilibrium and shear force

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    transverse loads are applied to the beam in the figure at A, C, and E, and a concentrated couple 3Pa is applied to the beam at E. Determine expressions for (a) the transverse shear force Vc and bending moment Mc at a section just to the left of the load at C, and (b) shear Vd and moment Md just to the left of the support at D. Express answers in terms of P and a.

The image is the same setup as this problem only the loads at A, C and E are P, 2P and 2P respectively
    p5.2-03alt.gif

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the derived equations are V=dM/dx and p(x)=dV/dx but I don't really know how to go about doing this. I have my free body diagram but other than that I don't know where to start. Can anyone give me a hand?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start with point A. What's the shear force there? Does it change between points A and B? What happens to the shear force at point B?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted