Beam Loading and Superposition Method

In summary, the Homework Equations state that the deflection at point C in the first case is equivilent to the amount of deflection that would occur at point C in the second case if the load is distributed between points A and B. Additionally, the Homework Equations state that the deflection at point C in the second case is equivilent to the amount of deflection that would occur at point C in the first case if the load is applied between points B and C.
Double A

Homework Statement

See attachement titled p8.jpg

Homework Equations

The following equations apply to a cantilevered beam held fixed on the left end:

[tex]\delta_{max} = -\frac{PL^3}{3EI}[/tex]

[tex]\theta = -\frac{PL^2}{2EI}[/tex]

[tex]\delta = \frac{P}{6EI}(x^3-3Lx^2)[/tex]

The following equations apply to a simply supported beam with a constant distrubuted load:

[tex]\delta_{max} = -\frac{5\omega L^4}{384EI}[/tex]

[tex]\theta = -\frac{\omega L^3}{24EI}[/tex]

[tex]\delta = -\frac{\omega}{24EI}(x^4-2Lx^3+L^3x)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started my superposition solution as shown in attachment s8.jpg. I wanted find out if the deflection caused by the distributed load between points A and B is equivilent to the amount of deflection that would occur at point C in the first case. For the second case is the deflection caused by the load occur between points B and C or across the entire beam? I'm having a difficult time trying to find the best equation to discribe each case.

Attachments

• p8.JPG
    p8.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 603
  • s8.JPG
    s8.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't apply the fixed cantilever deflection for the point load case, because there is no fixity at point B (the beam can rotate at B). You apparently (?) have access to tables for determining deflections and slopes for various loading and support conditions. For the uniform loading between A and B, you can calculate the deflection at C geometrically by using the slope of the deflection curve at B as the slope of the straight line deflection betwen B and C. Then, separately, find the deflection at C , from tables, for the point load case of a beam overhanging 2 supports with a load P at the free end, and set the deflections equal to solve for P. If you don't have tables, I guess you'll have to grind it out using calculus or shear-moment-slope-deflection diagrams. Did I understand your question correctly?

Your response gets me going in the right direction. I'll try what you mentioned and see what I turn up with. If I run into difficulties I'll look for further consultation. Thanks for leading me in the right direction. I was not exactly sure how to find the deflection occurring at C based upon the loadings.

Use virtual work. Set the deflections equal for each case and solve for P. I would guess this is how your instructor wants it to be solved and not just by manipulating existing tables.

I agree with haynewp

deviferr said:
I agree with haynewp
I disagree with haynewp. The problem statement lists table deflections and slopes for certain cases. I would guess this is how the instructor wants it to be solved, not by using tedious calculations. Only the instructor and Double A knows for sure, and he or she has probably graduated by now.:smile:

Just my feelings, but in an exam you'll not have tables and other aids to help, so your better of going through the numerical calculation method with calculus.

You can solve this using maculay method, well as far as i can see.

I have not really looked at it, so maybe no help. But seems to me you need to calculate the deflection at c when the load is applied between a and b.

I would then calculate how much load i would need to apply to c in order to deflect c downwards by the value of the deflection upwards, thus deflecting c back to zero.

Done something similar to this, if i find the notes i will post them.

hey guys~
i think i have found something,
1- deflection caused by the uniform load = qL^3/24EI
where L is 10, as i remember..
2- deflection caused by p =2pL^3/3EI

^_^

What is beam loading?

Beam loading refers to the external forces or loads that are applied to a beam. These can include vertical loads, such as the weight of the beam itself or any objects resting on it, as well as horizontal loads, such as wind or seismic forces.

What is the superposition method?

The superposition method is a technique used to analyze the response of a beam to multiple loads by breaking them down into individual components and then summing their effects. This method is based on the principle that the response of a beam to multiple loads is equal to the sum of its responses to each individual load.

How is the superposition method used in beam loading analysis?

In beam loading analysis, the superposition method is used to determine the shear, moment, and deflection at any point along the beam. By breaking down the external loads into individual components and analyzing their effects on the beam, engineers can accurately predict the behavior of the beam under various loading conditions.

What are the limitations of the superposition method?

The superposition method is only applicable to linearly elastic materials and small deformations. It also assumes that the beam is homogeneous, isotropic, and has a constant cross-section. Additionally, the method does not account for the redistribution of internal forces and moments that can occur in a real beam.

How does the superposition method compare to other methods of beam analysis?

The superposition method is a simplified approach to beam analysis that is often used in introductory engineering courses. It is less computationally intensive than other methods, such as the moment distribution method or the finite element method, but it also has more limitations. Depending on the complexity of the beam and the accuracy required, engineers may choose to use a different method for analysis.