Deflection cantilever beam

In summary, to find the deflection at midspan for a cantilever beam loaded with a uniformly distributed load, you can use the formula \delta = \frac{Qx^2}{24EI}(6L^2-4Lx+x^2). After correcting a mistake in the attempt at solution, the correct answer is \frac{17QL^4}{384EI}.
raymanmusic

Homework Statement

How do I find an expression for the deflection at midspan for a cantilever beam loaded with a uniformly distributed load?

Illustration of beam: http://goo.gl/3SxeVZ

Homework Equations

[itex]\delta = \frac{Qx^2}{24EI}(6L^2-4Lx+x^2)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt at solution: http://goo.gl/umUBkU

My current answer is: [itex]\frac{49QL^4}{1280EI}[/itex], I think this is wrong. Putting [itex]x = \frac{L}{2}[/itex] in the elastic curve formula I get: [itex]\frac{17QL^4}{384EI}[/itex], I think this is the correct answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can always check your formula for the deflection by setting x = L and seeing if your result is the same as that from a beam table.

raymanmusic: qx = q, not qx = q*x/L. Try again.

Yes, that was the mistake. I got the correct answer now: [itex]\frac{17QL^4}{384EI}[/itex]. Thank you nvn.

I would first clarify the problem statement and make sure that the beam is indeed a cantilever beam and not a simply supported beam. This is because the deflection at midspan for a simply supported beam with uniformly distributed load is different from that of a cantilever beam.

Assuming that the beam is indeed a cantilever beam, the expression for the deflection at midspan can be derived using the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory. This theory states that the deflection of a beam is directly proportional to the bending moment and inversely proportional to the flexural rigidity (EI) of the beam.

In this case, the deflection at midspan can be found by integrating the bending moment equation over the length of the beam and then applying boundary conditions. The bending moment equation for a cantilever beam with a uniformly distributed load is given by:

M(x) = \frac{wL}{2}(x-L)

where w is the uniformly distributed load and L is the length of the beam.

Integrating this equation and applying boundary conditions (at x = 0, M = 0 and at x = L, M = \frac{wL^2}{2}), we get the following expression for the deflection at midspan:

\delta = \frac{wL^4}{8EI}

This is the correct expression for the deflection at midspan for a cantilever beam loaded with a uniformly distributed load.

It is important to note that the elastic curve formula provided in the problem statement is only applicable to simply supported beams and cannot be used for cantilever beams. As a scientist, it is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of different theories and equations in order to accurately solve problems and make informed decisions.

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a structural element that is supported at only one end, allowing it to extend freely over a space. It is commonly used in building construction and engineering projects.

2. How is deflection measured in a cantilever beam?

Deflection, or the amount of bending in a cantilever beam, is typically measured in inches or millimeters. It can be calculated using mathematical equations or measured using specialized instruments such as strain gauges.

3. What factors affect the deflection of a cantilever beam?

The deflection of a cantilever beam can be affected by a variety of factors including the type and strength of the material, the length of the beam, the amount of load applied, and the shape of the cross section.

4. How does deflection impact the performance of a cantilever beam?

Excessive deflection in a cantilever beam can cause structural failure or compromise the stability of a structure. It is important to carefully calculate and monitor deflection to ensure the safety and functionality of a cantilever beam.

5. What are some common methods for reducing deflection in cantilever beams?

There are several methods for reducing deflection in cantilever beams, including using stiffer materials, increasing the cross-sectional area of the beam, and adding additional supports or reinforcement. Proper design and construction techniques are also crucial in minimizing deflection.