Calculating Beam Sizing for Cargo Transport

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of checking the beam size needed to transport a cargo. It involves checking the actual bending moment and shear with the resisting moment of the beam, as well as considering the allowed stress and safety factors. To calculate the resisting bending moment and shear, one must know the type of beam used and its properties such as moment of inertia and area. The conversation also advises consulting a registered professional engineer for structural design assistance.
JEngineer
Good Day Guys,

I need help in checking the beam size required to transport a cargo.
What checks do i do?
1. Check actual BM with resisting moment of the beam
2. Check actual shear with the resisting moment of the beam

How do i calculate following if I only know the type of beam used, i.e. section and length., ex. 4.8m long UC356x406x235
- Resisting BM
- Resisting Shear.

Thanks in advance :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
JEngineer said:
Good Day Guys,

What checks do i do?
yes , you can also check actual versus allowed stress. Don't forget safety factors.
How do i calculate following if I only
know the type of beam used, i.e. section and length., ex. 4.8m long UC356x406x235
- Resisting BM
- Resisting Shear.

you must look it up or calculate the beam properties like moment of inertia and area etc. I'm sure you know the basic equations for bending stresses and shear stresses. But also you must know the max allowed stress of the material you are using.

Last edited:
JEngineer said:
Good Day Guys,

What checks do i do?

How do i calculate following if I only know the type of beam used, i.e. section and length., ex. 4.8m long UC356x406x235
- Resisting BM
- Resisting Shear.

Welcome to PF!

For liability reasons, we cannot give real-world structural engineering assistanc on this forum. Please consult a registered professional engineer to design the structure for you. Thread closed.

Likes berkeman

1. How is the beam size calculated for cargo transport?

The beam size for cargo transport is calculated using the formula: Beam Size = (Total Cargo Weight x Cargo Length) / (Allowable Stress x Modulus of Elasticity x Safety Factor). This formula takes into account the weight and length of the cargo, as well as the allowable stress and modulus of elasticity of the beam material, and a safety factor to ensure structural integrity.

2. What is the allowable stress for beam sizing in cargo transport?

The allowable stress for beam sizing in cargo transport depends on the type of material being used for the beam. For example, for steel beams, the allowable stress is typically around 24,000 psi. This information can be found in engineering handbooks or by consulting with a structural engineer.

3. What is the safety factor for calculating beam size for cargo transport?

The safety factor for calculating beam size in cargo transport is typically around 1.5-2. This means that the calculated beam size should be multiplied by the safety factor to ensure structural stability and account for any unexpected stresses that may occur during transport.

4. How does the length of the cargo affect beam sizing for cargo transport?

The length of the cargo is an important factor in beam sizing for cargo transport because it affects the distribution of weight and the load on the beam. Longer cargo will require a larger beam size to support it, while shorter cargo may not require as large of a beam. The length of the cargo should always be considered when calculating beam size.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating beam size for cargo transport?

In addition to the weight and length of the cargo, the type of loading (evenly distributed or concentrated) and the type of beam (I-beam, H-beam, etc.) should also be taken into consideration when calculating beam size for cargo transport. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to ensure all necessary factors are considered for a safe and efficient beam sizing calculation.