Beam-splitter transformation matrix

In summary: Therefore, ##\hat{T}^*## is an extremely bad notation, but unfortunately it's used quite often, and I must admit I'm using it quite often myself, too. The only meaning of ##\hat{T}^*## is the complex conjugated of all entries of ##\hat{T}##, but it's not the adjoint as it should be.
roam
TL;DR Summary
Why is the transformation matrix of a beam splitter unitary?
The transformation matrix for a beam splitter relates the four E-fields involved as follows:

$$
\left(\begin{array}{c}
E_{1}\\
E_{2}
\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}
T & R\\
R & T
\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{c}
E_{3}\\
E_{4}
\end{array}\right)
\tag{1}$$

Here, the amplitude transmission and reflection coefficients are given by ##T=|T|e^{i\theta}## and ##R=|R|e^{i\varphi}##. In various textbooks we are told that for a lossless beam splitter these two quantities are subject to:

$$|T|^2 + |R|^2 =1 \tag{2}$$

I used to believe that this is because ##T^2## and ##R^2## represent transmittance and reflectanace respectively, so in the presence of loss (e.g. absorptance ##A##), one would have ##T^2 + R^2 + A = 1##.

However, according to this, the reason is because the matrix is unitary, which means that we can write:

$$\left(\begin{array}{cc}
T & R\\
R & T
\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}
T^{*} & R^{*}\\
R^{*} & T^{*}
\end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0\\
0 & 1
\end{array}\right) \tag{3}$$

Indeed one of the two relations you get from the above is equation (2). So, how did they know that the transformation matrix must be unitary? Did they assume equation (2) to be true in advance? Or, is equation (2) a consequence of the fact that the matrix is unitary?

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most simple explanation is energy conservation. Note that the ##E_j## are components of the incoming and outcoming electric field, written in the usual complex notation. A lossless optical device is defined as one where there's no energy loss regarding the em. field, but the energy density is given by
$$u \propto \vec{E}^{\dagger} \cdot \vec{E}.$$
Now in order to have ##u_{\text{out}}=u_{\text{in}}##, the requirement for some optical element to be lossless, with ##\vec{E}_{\text{out}}=\hat{T} \vec{E}_{\text{in}}## you must have for any (!) in-field
$$\vec{E}_{\text{out}}^{\dagger} \vec{E}_{\text{out}} = \vec{E}_{\text{\in}}^{\dagger} \hat{T}^{\dagger} \hat{T} \vec{E}_{\text{in}} \stackrel{!}{=} \vec{E}_{\text{in}} ^{\dagger} \vec{E}_{\text{in}}.$$
This can hold only for all (!) in-fields if
$$\hat{T}^{\dagger} \hat{T}=\hat{1},$$
which means that ##\hat{T}## must be unitary to be a transfer matrix describing a linear lossless optical component.

For the special beam splitter built with a dielectric reflective coating, it's quite easy to understand also from classical electrodynamics (Fresnel equations for reflection and refraction of em. waves at dielectrica). It's built such that the reflected beam coming from one side gets a phase shift of ##\pi##, while the reflected beam coming from the other side doesn't get such a phase shift (because the phase shift occurs only if the beam is reflected on the boundary of the optically thicker medium coming from the optically thinner medium). In this case you can derive the beam-splitter transfer matrix to be
$$\hat{T}=\exp(\mathrm{i} \varphi) \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & -1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{pmatrix},$$
where for an arbitrary phase shift ##\varphi## obviously ##\hat{T}^{\dagger} \hat{T}=\hat{1}## (just check it by doing the matrix multiplication explicitly).

For more details, see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_splitter#Phase_shift

Likes Paul Colby and roam
Thank you so much @vanhees71

That makes perfect sense now.

P.S. Do symbols ##\dagger## and ##^*## really mean different things in this context, or can they be used interchangeably? I thought they both represented the conjugate transpose, but in the document I linked to, they are using both.

##\hat{T}^{\dagger}## is the usual notation for taking the (Hermitean) adjoint of a complex matrix, i.e., you transpose it (i.e., you write the columns of the original matrix as the lines of the new matrix) and take the complex conjugate of all these entries. The usual physicists' notation for complex conjugation of a number ##z=x+\mathrm{i} y## (with ##x,y \in \mathbb{R}##) is ##z^*=x-\mathrm{i} y##.

Likes roam

1. What is a beam-splitter transformation matrix?

A beam-splitter transformation matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the behavior of a beam of light as it passes through a beam-splitter. It relates the input and output states of polarization of the light beam, taking into account the properties of the beam-splitter such as its reflectivity and transmittance.

2. How is a beam-splitter transformation matrix calculated?

A beam-splitter transformation matrix is calculated by applying the laws of optics and using the properties of the beam-splitter. The matrix is a 2x2 matrix with complex entries, and its elements can be determined by measuring the reflectivity and transmittance of the beam-splitter at different input polarization states.

3. What is the significance of a beam-splitter transformation matrix?

The beam-splitter transformation matrix is significant because it allows us to predict and control the behavior of light passing through a beam-splitter. It is a fundamental tool in the field of optics and is used in various applications such as optical communications, imaging, and quantum information processing.

4. Can a beam-splitter transformation matrix be used for non-linear optics?

Yes, a beam-splitter transformation matrix can be used for non-linear optics. In this case, the matrix is extended to include the non-linear optical properties of the materials used in the beam-splitter. This allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of light in non-linear optical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of a beam-splitter transformation matrix?

While the beam-splitter transformation matrix is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the beam-splitter is linear and does not take into account any imperfections or defects in the beam-splitter. Additionally, it only applies to coherent light sources and cannot be used for incoherent light.