1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Becoming a Robotics Engineer

1. Jun 2, 2017 #1
    Hi all! Just recently discovered PF, loving the community. I'm a softmore Mechanical Engineering undergrad, who's been exploring careers and what comes next after I graduate. My question to you all is: What skills can I learn/focus on throughout the rest of my schooling to increase my chances of working in robotics? Unfortunately becoming a robotics major isn't an option, but I figured with an ME degree and the right skills I could still work on robots.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does your school have a robotics team? Many of those have corporate sponsors. It might be a good networking opportunity.
    Also if your school offers intern/co-op programs, that is becoming almost a necessity when trying to hire on with a company, at graduation.

4. Jun 2, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I'm getting involved with our team and mentoring a highschool team, and Internships are coming once I've got the credit hours. Any specific skills I should look into, I.E. learning specific software/what languages are best?

5. Jun 2, 2017 #4
    Absolutely you can. In fact in my opinion, it's preferable. The content robotics majors cover are very broad. ME will allow you to develop some focus, and work on certain aspects of the system in general.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted