Beginner Physics Kinematics/Motion do not have a physics brain

In summary, the conversation is about a motorist trying to reach a traffic light just as it turns green by calculating her speed at the instant it turns green. The given information includes her initial speed, the distance to the traffic light, and the time it takes for the light to turn red and green. The solution involves using equations for distance, velocity, and acceleration to find the final speed of the motorist. The final answer is 6.28 m/s, and there may be minor discrepancies due to different interpretations of the given data.
inevitable?

Homework Statement

a motorist is driving at 20m/s when she sees that a traffic light 200m ahead had just turned red. she knows that this light stays red for 15s, and she wants to reach the light just as it turns green again. it takes her 1.0s to stop on the brakes and begin slowing. what is her speed as she reaches the light at the instant it turns green?
The answer is 5.71 m/s.

Homework Equations

d= ( v1+v2/2) (t)

d= v1(t)+1/2(a)(t2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to find v2 by rearranging the first equation.. tried finding a to possibly use it as another variable in an equation.. nothing is working

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't follow your question.
you mean you want the acceleration if she(he) can reach the light at the instant it turns green?

no i want the velocity

I believe your missing a variable here...

so I am not completely hopeless?

First of all, I don't think there is such a thing as a physics brain. lol It's just a lot of practice and over time, you get a hang of things.

Well, I did get a solution, but not 5.71. Where did you get the answer from?

Given;
vo=20 m/s
x=200 m
t = 15 sec (but since it takes 1 second to react, 14 sec is the actual time)

so I used
x=vot+ 0.5 at2
200 = 20(14) + .5 a (14)2
solve for a

then use Vf=Vo+at

But I got 8.xx for the final velocity. Not sure if I am interpreting all the values right. Maybe...

yeah,it doesn't make sense.maybe you misunderstood your question.read it again!

well look at your equation. I find that if you do something like this it helps to work out your answer.

V1= ?
V2= ?
a = ?
t = ?
d = ?

This gives you quick reference at any time to any of your variables and allows you to do conversions beside as needed.

so as an example if say I was to use the equation:

V2^2 = V1*t +0.5 * a * t^2

I would do say

V1= 2
V2= ?
a = 3
t = 5
d = n/a

also remember for any linear motion question like this you need 3 variables given.

oh trust me, no amount of practise will ever make me better at this

and I don't know .. i have a test tomorrow and i wanted extra problems and someone got one from someone and that's what they sent me..

v1 is 20 m/s
where did you get 3 for a?

Well remember that if you can't do pure physics Engineering is always an option...

v1= 20 m/s
d=200 m
t= 14 s
a= ?
v2= ?

those were random numbers I'm not doing the work because I'm doing engineering equations right now sorry if I confused you...

inevitable? said:

Homework Statement

a motorist is driving at 20m/s when she sees that a traffic light 200m ahead had just turned red. she knows that this light stays red for 15s, and she wants to reach the light just as it turns green again. it takes her 1.0s to stop on the brakes and begin slowing. what is her speed as she reaches the light at the instant it turns green?
The answer is 5.71 m/s.

Think of it this way, your primary goal here is to have her end up 200m down the road in 15 seconds (also take into consideration that it takes her 1 second to start to slow down), which would put her right at the light when it turns green. So you know that her Vi=20m/s.

So start this way, see how long it takes her to get 200m down the road going at a constant 20m/s. If its under 15s, she is going too fast, if it is over 15s, she is going too slow.

So once you see that, how many seconds is she off by? Then take acceleration (or deceleration) into account and see what constant deceleration would put her exactly at 15s. Then you can find her final Vf at 15s.

Hahaha, well. Personally, it took me about 2 weeks to master this stuff. Then rest of physics came easier as you progress.

Don't worry, you will get a hang of it. As long as you realize that physics isn't about the equations. The mathematics are just tools, the true essence is knowing how to apply the tools.

Edited the original post with my solution...which isn't really the same as your answer. >.<

i make it

but answer is 6.28m/s

enricfemi said:
but answer is 6.28m/s

Did you take t = 14 or 15?

Because if you take 1 second to step on the break...then the t should be 14.

completely irrelevant but anyone else think 1 second is a slow reaction time?

Hunterbender said:
Did you take t = 14 or 15?

Because if you take 1 second to step on the break...then the t should be 14.

yes,after 1 second:
t=14s
distance=180m
vo=20m/s

enricfemi said:
yes,after 1 second:
t=14s
distance=180m
vo=20m/s

Oh nice. I forgot about the distance difference. ^.^ Yep. Hehehe, my mistake there.

Hunterbender said:
Oh nice. I forgot about the distance difference. ^.^ Yep. Hehehe, my mistake there.

Maybe there are mistakes in my solution too.
I also make mistakes like this again and again. I just can't help it and have been accustomed to it.

1. What is kinematics/motion in physics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion, including the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects. It does not take into account the causes of motion, such as forces and energy.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. This means that an object can have a constant speed but changing velocity if its direction of motion changes.

3. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, using the formula: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is a measure of how far an object has traveled, while displacement is a measure of the straight-line distance and direction between an object's starting and ending position. Displacement takes into account the direction of motion, while distance does not.

5. Can someone without a 'physics brain' still understand kinematics/motion?

Yes, understanding kinematics/motion does not require a 'physics brain'. It simply requires a basic understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them to real-world situations. With practice and patience, anyone can understand and master the principles of kinematics and motion.