How Do You Solve a Beginner's Epsilon-Delta Proof for 1/x?

In summary: If x is close to 2, then the inequality will hold. If x is farther from 2, then the inequality won't hold. In summary, if x is close to 2, then the inequality will hold. If x is farther from 2, then the inequality won't hold.
JPanthon

Homework Statement

This is my first delt/epsilon proof ever, so please understand if I seem ignorant.

e=epsilon
d = delta

Let f(x) = 1/x for x>0

If e is any positive quantity, find a positive number d, which is such that:

if 0 < |x-2| < d, then |f(x) - 1/2| < e

Homework Equations

I don't really know of any :s

The Attempt at a Solution

|1/x - 1/2| < e
|2/x - 1| < 2e
|x/2 - 1| > 1/2e
|x - 2| > 1/e

and |x-2| < d

Therefore, 1/e < d

Is this sufficient? It says find a positive d, and I've only come up with an inequality with respect to e. Again, this is my first ever d/e proofs, so if I've overlooked some tremendously obvious error, I'm sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org
JPanthon said:

Homework Statement

This is my first delt/epsilon proof ever, so please understand if I seem ignorant.

e=epsilon
d = delta

Let f(x) = 1/x for x>0

If e is any positive quantity, find a positive number d, which is such that:

if 0 < |x-2| < d, then |f(x) - 1/2| < e

Homework Equations

I don't really know of any :s

The Attempt at a Solution

|1/x - 1/2| < e
|2/x - 1| < 2e
|x/2 - 1| > 1/2e

It's OK to start with an exploratory argument like this, but how did you get from the second step to the third step?

LCKurtz said:
It's OK to start with an exploratory argument like this, but how did you get from the second step to the third step?

I took the reciprocal of both sides - is that allowed?

JPanthon said:
I took the reciprocal of both sides - is that allowed?

No law against it. Not sure why you want the reciprocal but, given that's what you want to do, do you think the reciprocal of
[tex]\frac 2 x -1\hbox{ is }\frac x 2 -1\hbox{?}[/tex]

LCKurtz said:
No law against it. Not sure why you want the reciprocal but, given that's what you want to do, do you think the reciprocal of
[tex]\frac 2 x -1\hbox{ is }\frac x 2 -1\hbox{?}[/tex]

Oh, I see my mistake. Thank you.

I don't really know: I took the reciprocal to try to get d and e in the same form, so I may choose d.

Could I have a hint to a more efficient method?

Your exploratory start was OK:

[tex]\left|\frac 1 x - \frac 1 2\right| < \epsilon[/tex]

Start by simplifying that left side by combining the fractions. The idea is to see how close x needs to be to 2 to make the inequality work.

1. What is a Beginner's Epsilon Delta Proof?

A Beginner's Epsilon Delta Proof is a type of mathematical proof used to show the convergence of a sequence or the continuity of a function. It involves using the concepts of epsilon and delta to rigorously prove a statement.

2. Why is a Beginner's Epsilon Delta Proof important?

A Beginner's Epsilon Delta Proof is important because it provides a rigorous and precise way of proving mathematical statements. It is commonly used in advanced calculus courses and is a fundamental concept in analysis.

3. How do I know when to use a Beginner's Epsilon Delta Proof?

A Beginner's Epsilon Delta Proof is typically used to prove statements about convergence or continuity. If you encounter a problem that involves these concepts, it is likely that a Beginner's Epsilon Delta Proof will be needed.

4. What are the steps to constructing a Beginner's Epsilon Delta Proof?

The steps to constructing a Beginner's Epsilon Delta Proof are as follows: 1) Clearly state the statement to be proved, 2) Choose an arbitrary value for epsilon, 3) Use the definition of convergence or continuity to find a corresponding delta, 4) Show that for any epsilon, there exists a delta that satisfies the definition, and 5) Write a conclusion that proves the statement.

5. How can I improve my skills in constructing Beginner's Epsilon Delta Proofs?

The best way to improve your skills in constructing Beginner's Epsilon Delta Proofs is to practice regularly. Start with simple problems and work your way up to more complex ones. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, or join a study group to discuss and work on problems together.