Being not right or left handed

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of some people being neither right nor left handed, also known as ambidextrous. The conversation mentions that ambidexterity can mean being able to use either hand with equal ease, but also suggests that it could mean being able to use neither hand with equal ease. The conversation also brings up the idea of cross dominance, where a person may be left handed for some tasks and right handed for others. It is mentioned that studies suggest ambidexterity and cross dominance are rarer than left handedness. The conversation also includes a discussion about a writing experiment where a person writes with both hands simultaneously, and how it may cause vertigo for some individuals.
Any differences in typing between RH and LH people?

Biology news on Phys.org
bob012345 said:
Any differences in typing between RH and LH people?
You betcha!

DaveC426913 said:
You betcha!
Do you just mean the use of the Space Bar and Shift Key? Or do you have something else in mind?

After all, we all have to use our left hand for Carriage Return. :wink:

1654183656058.png

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Carriage_return

• Haha
Likes diogenesNY
berkeman said:
Do you just mean the use of the Space Bar and Shift Key? Or do you have something else in mind?

After all, we all have to use our left hand for Carriage Return. :wink:

View attachment 302285
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Carriage_return
There's lots of little things. Since I've always been left-handed, it's actually difficult to say what's harder for me than for you. (Took me into my adulthood before I learned that scissors don't raise welts on the hands of right-handers.)

• Some applications use the two Ctrl keys differently. To operate the correct one, I have to cross my arms.
  • The touchpad on my laptop is shifted toward the left. I disabled it completely for a while, so I wouldn't keep scrolling the cursor while I'm typing.
  • The mouse buttons are the wrong way.

DaveC426913 said:
The mouse buttons are the wrong way.
There is a config setting on you PC to swap the mouse buttons...

1654185654442.png

Last edited:
...using the NumPad should be easier for right-handed people. But spacebar? Right or left thumb - even I as a pretty much right handed person do it both ways. Where's the difficulty / difference?

DaveC426913 said:
(Took me into my adulthood before I learned that scissors don't raise welts on the hands of right-handers.)
Inspect carefully, it turns out there are two versions of left handed scissors.

Right handed scissors are assembled with the blade that is on top of the work positioned to the right during use. That allows you do see exactly where you are cutting.

Some left handed scissors just change the handles for a more comfortable fit without changing the blade overlap. This positions the top blade to block your view of the cut line. o0)

I hear that is rather annoying for lefties.

• Informative
Likes BillTre and berkeman
Tom.G said:
the handles for a more comfortable fit without changing the blade overlap. This positions the top blade to block your view of the cut line
It's worse than that. It often won't cut because the angle is wrong. It just twists the paper.

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
Here are some possible alternatives:
  • person with no hands from birth
  • person with no hands, but right or left handed until hands gone
  • right handed, not right hand
  • left handed, no left hand

there as also some people who are right handed for some things and left handed for others (throws right, bats left)
I am right handed. I play guitar right handed but I play drums left handed. Trying to do either vice versa results in a sonic mess or personal body damage.

Likes BillTre
Jodo said:
I am right handed. I play guitar right handed but I play drums left handed. Trying to do either vice versa results in a sonic mess or personal body damage.
Same as me but I am left handed.
I write left (hence lefty), use a mouse, play pool hold a fork and drum that way.
Guitar right, badminton, cricket.
I play chess left handed, seems odd but I just tried it. Right hand on the table and move the piece with my left.
I am right footed (football not bass drum)
Not surprising I am at times completely baffled by the universe and everything in it.

Likes BillTre and Jodo
BillTre said:
Here are some possible alternatives:
  • person with no hands from birth
  • person with no hands, but right or left handed until hands gone
  • right handed, not right hand
  • left handed, no left hand

there as also some people who are right handed for some things and left handed for others (throws right, bats left)
I feel this is still reinforcing archaic binary stereotypes.You clearly have a hand-centric bias.

What about handed-fluid?
And why limit everyone to just two?

• Haha
Likes BillTre
number of squid arms = number of octopus + 2

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
BillTre said:
TIL :smile:

BillTre said:
I don't like octopi. Not their fault, but when I'm skimming along the bottom free diving and all of a sudden a rock turns into an octopus with tentacles darting out at me and ink in the water, that is very startling for somebody not carrying any extra air!

Likes BillTre
And just to pull this OT discussion back to OP relevance, has anybody ever done a study on the handedness of octopi? That would be fascinating, IMO... Still 80/20 do you think?

Likes hmmm27
  • Wow
Likes berkeman
BillTre said:
Interesting, thanks!

Unlike in humans, this handedness is split more or less 50-50, rather than being biased towards right-handers. But it does seem to show why the many-limbed creatures go to the trouble of choosing a favourite.

Godot_ said:
...using the NumPad should be easier for right-handed people. But spacebar? Right or left thumb - even I as a pretty much right handed person do it both ways. Where's the difficulty / difference?
I would rather have it on the left side of the keyboard, even if I am right handed.

Tom.G said:
Inspect carefully, it turns out there are two versions of left handed scissors.

Right handed scissors are assembled with the blade that is on top of the work positioned to the right during use. That allows you do see exactly where you are cutting.

Some left handed scissors just change the handles for a more comfortable fit without changing the blade overlap. This positions the top blade to block your view of the cut line. o0)

I hear that is rather annoying for lefties.
If I use right handed scissors in my left had, they do not cut.
Something to do with keeping the blades tight against one another.
the left hand pushes them apart a little bit.

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913 and symbolipoint
Jodo said:
I don't get these left/tight handed references to sports or instruments.

Is the 'better' hand to be the upper or lower grip on a bat, or rather the left or right side of the pitcher when the batter steps up to the plate, or on which 'side' of the rink the hockey player is on when looking from his own goal.
Should the 'better' hand be strumming or playing the chords.
These are would just consider conventions that have developed and continued on.

Holding a tennis racket, or kicking a field goal - that makes sense.

Knitting - maybe that is a left or right handed activity, but no one talks about that. :mad:
( By the way I haven't knitted since grade 3 when we made those rope things from thread and a old spool. )
Knitters UNITE - are you a left or right handed knitter.
1662178167581.png

256bits said:
I don't get these left/tight handed references to sports or instruments.

Is the 'better' hand to be the upper or lower grip on a bat, or rather the left or right side of the pitcher when the batter steps up to the plate, or on which 'side' of the rink the hockey player is on when looking from his own goal.
Should the 'better' hand be strumming or playing the chords.
These are would just consider conventions that have developed and continued on.
No it is not convention. Have you never played squash, tennis or badminton?
Never held a guitar?
One way feels 'wrong' and the other way feels natural.
As wrong and as natural as writing with your right or left.

Likes BillTre and symbolipoint
pinball1970 said:
No it is not convention. Have you never played squash, tennis or badminton?
Never held a guitar?
One way feels 'wrong' and the other way feels natural.
As wrong and as natural as writing with your right or left.
One handed actions - definitely a handedness to them.
Batting - convention as both hands are used - where does it say the left or right hand should be above the other on the bat? In fact, a left handed batter has his right eye closer to the pitch, so he should really be a right eye handed batter.

I bat right handed, but play hockey left handed, and both feel natural, but where is the logic in naming one stance over the other.

Likes pinball1970
256bits said:
Batting - convention as both hands are used - where does it say the left or right hand should be above the other on the bat? In fact, a left handed batter has his right eye closer to the pitch, so he should really be a right eye handed batter.

I bat right handed, but play hockey left handed, and both feel natural, but where is the logic in naming one stance over the other.
Ok I get you now. Yes that is convention. How did the nomenclature arise?
My guess is a bunch of guys are doing something right handed because that is the norm. One guy is doing it different because he is left handed so that is the left handed position.
No one says Jan Ackerman is right handed he just plays.
EVERYONE noticed Jimi was a leftie, it looks odd.

Likes 256bits
256bits said:

An example. I went to drum clinic for schools when I was about 14. I was the only leftie for a snare session of about 10 or so kids and I was outed.
I was quite embarrassed because he said I should learn to right handed and would be an inconvenience in an orchestra. How would that work if I was the only leftie violinist?
I actually tried it and it felt awful so I switched back and put my foot down. I am playing left and my teacher who was a jazz drummer thought I played well.
So, the right way and the wrong way! The odd way is left by default because of the numbers.

Last edited:
Likes 256bits