Solve Bernoulli Problem: Mass of Water in Tube

• Thread starter JulienB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernoulli
In summary, the problem involves a reservoir with constant pressure P = 105 Pa releasing water with a velocity of v = 4 m⋅s-1 through a tube. The tube is then connected to a perpendicular tube with an area of A = 0.1 m2 and a height of h = 2 m, in which the water does not move and holds a mass m covering the whole area. Using the Bernoulli equation and the force balance equation, it is determined that the mass of the water is m = 720 kg.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! I'm back with another Bernoulli problem :)

A reservoir with constant pressure P = 105 Pa releases through a tube water (density ρ = 1 g/cm3) with the velocity v = 4 m⋅s-1. That tube is then connected to another perpendicular tube (area A = 0.1 m2, height h = 2m) in which the water doesn't move and holds a mass m covering the whole area.
What is the mass m?

(sorry for the poor problem statement, it's hard to translate from German to English since neither of those languages are my mother language :) see attached picture for a better comprehension).

Homework Equations

Bernoulli equation, pressure, forces.
I also immediately convert ρ into ρ = 1000 Kg/m3.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay I'm posting that problem here because I feel like I still get confused about how to deal with some inputs in the Bernoulli equation. Here is what I've done:

Since the mass is not moving, I believe ΣF = 0, which means that the force of the water on the mass (FU) is equal to the force of gravity of the mass on the water:

ΣF = 0 ⇔ mg = FU

Next step I want to know the pressure (P1) at the point where the water and the mass meet, and I am a little unsure about my formula:

P1 = FU/A = mg/a

Is that correct? I am often unsure what force should be placed in that equation...However I then attempted to substitute that pressure into my Bernoulli equation:

P + ρgh0 + ½ρv2 = P1 + ρgh + ½ρv12

(ρgh0 = 0 because h0 = 0, ½ρv12 = 0 since the water is not moving)

⇔ P + ½ρv2 = mg/A + ρgh
⇔ m = (A/g)(P + ½ρv2 - ρgh)
m = 880 Kg

What do you guys think?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers, I appreciate your help.Julien.

Attachments

• Photo 26-03-16 13 22 30.jpeg
    Photo 26-03-16 13 22 30.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure in the tank is P (and the velocity inside the tank is zero), but the pressure within the tube is ##P-\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2##. This is also the pressure underneath the vertical pipe. The reason that pressure in the tube is less than P is that part of the pressure was used to accelerate the fluid to the tube velocity. Use Bernoulli to determine the pressure directly underneath the vertical pipe, and you will see this. So, in your final equations, there should be a minus sign in front of the ##\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2##, rather than a plus sign. Everything else is done correctly.

Chet

@Chestermiller Hi Chet, and thank you for your answer! Indeed I see what you mean with the pressure within the tube, I didn't reflect upon the fact that the water has no velocity inside the tank. But I fail to obtain P - ½ρv2 on the left side of my Bernoulli equation, since the - ½ρv2 cancels with the + ½ρv2 (which also kind of makes sense). I'm sure I am missing something, because the way I've done it makes the information about the velocity in the tube irrelevant.

I get m = 800 kg now. I've attached my equations with the post.

Julien.

Attachments

• Klausuren (1).png
    Klausuren (1).png
    37.1 KB · Views: 378
JulienB said:
@Chestermiller Hi Chet, and thank you for your answer! Indeed I see what you mean with the pressure within the tube, I didn't reflect upon the fact that the water has no velocity inside the tank. But I fail to obtain P - ½ρv2 on the left side of my Bernoulli equation, since the - ½ρv2 cancels with the + ½ρv2 (which also kind of makes sense). I'm sure I am missing something, because the way I've done it makes the information about the velocity in the tube irrelevant.

I get m = 800 kg now. I've attached my equations with the post.

Julien.
Bernoulli can't be applied to points 1 and 2 because point 2 is not on a streamline. Between points 1 and 2, you just apply the hydrostatic equilibrium equation. If you didn't know the lower pipe was there (say it was covered), you would conclude that the material in the vertical column would have to satisfy hydrostatic equilibrium.

@Chestermiller Thank you, that was a very clear explanation. I now see how to obtain the - ½⋅ρ⋅v2, but I do not have the - ρ⋅g⋅h anymore, which I guess should be there.

Attachments

• Klausuren (2).png
    Klausuren (2).png
    34 KB · Views: 356
(Also, I assumed we are dealing with gauge pressure throughout the whole problem - is that a correct assumption?)

JulienB said:
(Also, I assumed we are dealing with gauge pressure throughout the whole problem - is that a correct assumption?)
Yes.

@Chestermiller Could it be that the -ρgh is the pressure at the top (point (2))?

ΣF = 0 = P1⋅A - P2⋅A - m⋅g
⇔ m⋅g = A⋅(P0 - ½⋅ρ⋅v2 - ρ⋅g⋅h)
m = 720 kg

JulienB said:
@Chestermiller Could it be that the -ρgh is the pressure at the top (point (2))?

ΣF = 0 = P1⋅A - P2⋅A - m⋅g
⇔ m⋅g = A⋅(P0 - ½⋅ρ⋅v2 - ρ⋅g⋅h)
m = 720 kg
Your force balance on the piston showed that the pressure at point 2 is mg/A. However, the equations you have written here are correct.

@Chestermiller I think I get it now, thank you once again for your very valuable help!

I attach to this post my final complete answer for other people searching infos on the topic.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 350

1. What is the Bernoulli equation and how does it relate to mass of water in a tube?

The Bernoulli equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid. In the context of a tube filled with water, the Bernoulli equation can be used to determine the mass of water in the tube by considering the pressure and velocity of the water at different points along the tube.

2. How do you calculate the pressure and velocity of water in a tube using the Bernoulli equation?

The Bernoulli equation states that the sum of the pressure, kinetic energy, and potential energy per unit volume of a fluid is constant throughout the fluid. To calculate the pressure and velocity of water in a tube, you would need to measure the elevation and velocity of the water at two different points along the tube. Then, you can use the Bernoulli equation to solve for the pressure and velocity at each point.

3. What are the assumptions made when using the Bernoulli equation to solve for the mass of water in a tube?

The Bernoulli equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, inviscid, and that there is no energy loss due to friction or heat transfer. It also assumes that the flow is steady and that the tube has a constant cross-sectional area.

4. What are the units used when calculating the mass of water in a tube using the Bernoulli equation?

The units used depend on the specific values being measured, but typically the pressure is measured in pascals (Pa), velocity in meters per second (m/s), and elevation in meters (m). The resulting mass of water will be in kilograms (kg).

5. How accurate is the Bernoulli equation in determining the mass of water in a tube?

The accuracy of the Bernoulli equation depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken and the assumptions made. In ideal conditions, the Bernoulli equation can provide a very accurate estimation of the mass of water in a tube. However, in real-world situations where there may be energy losses due to friction or other factors, the results may be less accurate.