Bernoulli propulsion-the inducement of water over a hydrofoil

In summary, there are several sources available, including a book, journal article, and online resource, that discuss the use of inducement as a form of propulsion in water and provide information on calculating flow rate ratios.
PURDUE_MET
I am trying to find any references to research being done on the process of inducement being used as a form of propulsion in water. I would appreciate any help on finding sources on any general information about the inducement of fluid flow however I am specifically trying to find information on how to calculate a ratio between the flow rate of water that i am pumping thru an open ended submerged pipe (the inside face is actually a hydrofoil but I know how to determine the increase in velocity of the water due to the pressure change so for now we can assume a normal circumference surface) and the flow rate of water which is subsequently induced thru the pipe as well.

I'd appreciate any input into this since google isn't very helpful and the information I am looking for seems to be a little over my local librarians head!

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a few sources that may be of help with your research. First, the book "Fluid Mechanics for Engineers" by J.F. Douglas, C.M. Smith, and L.C. Price covers the topic of induced flow. Additionally, the journal article “Induced Flow in Open Channels with Submerged Pipes” by T.T. Lim and N.O. Zaki provides some useful information on calculating flow rate ratios. Finally, the website Water Technology Online has an article titled “Induced Flow in Open Channel Flows” which provides an overview of the concept and provides further resources.

1. What is Bernoulli propulsion?

Bernoulli propulsion is a phenomenon where water is induced to flow over a hydrofoil, creating lift and propelling an object forward.

2. How does Bernoulli propulsion work?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. In Bernoulli propulsion, the hydrofoil is designed to create a lower pressure on one side, causing the water to flow faster and creating lift on the other side, propelling the object forward.

3. What are the applications of Bernoulli propulsion?

Bernoulli propulsion has various applications in industries such as aerospace, marine, and transportation. It is used to power boats, submarines, and hydroplanes, and is also utilized in aircraft wings and turbine blades.

4. What are the advantages of Bernoulli propulsion?

Bernoulli propulsion is a more efficient and environmentally friendly way of propelling objects compared to traditional methods that use propellers or jet engines. It also allows for smoother and quieter movement through water or air.

5. Are there any limitations to Bernoulli propulsion?

Bernoulli propulsion is not suitable for all types of vehicles and environments. It requires a certain speed to create enough lift, so it may not be effective for slow-moving objects. It also requires a certain depth of water or air to work effectively.