Bernoulli's Equation: Deriving the Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an equation and the assumptions used in obtaining it. They also mention that the given answer is not dimensionally correct and they discuss the implications of assuming a unit width. Ultimately, they agree that multiplying the expression by the whole width would give the total flow rate in the channel.
jderulo
Hi

Can anyone advise how the following equation was derived.

http://uploadpie.com/PYLrD

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Before we try to answer your question, you'll have to convince us that this is not a homework assignment.

It is part of a document of examples not part of an assignment that's why I have all the answers

Have you attempted this yourself yet?

Yes but cannot fathom the 1/D wher eit came from

Hey Boneh3ad,

Have you noticed that the given answer is not dimensionally correct. They left out the width of the channel (if the really mean that Q is the volumetric flow rate).

Chet

I took the expression as meaning the velocity - I know it states for Q but it does not multiply by area anywhere.

jderulo said:
I took the expression as meaning the velocity - I know it states for Q but it does not multiply by area anywhere.
##\frac{Q}{wD}=## velocity at the left of the figure, where w is the width of the channel. So the area is wD.

chet

Chestermiller said:
Hey Boneh3ad,

Have you noticed that the given answer is not dimensionally correct. They left out the width of the channel (if the really mean that Q is the volumetric flow rate).

Chet

Yes. I was able to reproduce the formula from the problem with the added ##w## term included, but I am not 100% convinced that the assumptions used to get there make a whole lot of sense to me at the moment.

boneh3ad said:
Yes. I was able to reproduce the formula from the problem with the added ##w## term included, but I am not 100% convinced that the assumptions used to get there make a whole lot of sense to me at the moment.
Me neither, if you are referring to the dip in the upper surface.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Me neither, if you are referring to the dip in the upper surface.

Chet

I was referring to the fact that you have to assume that the pressure differenc causing acceleration is wholly explained by the slight change in hydrostatic pressure due to ##\Delta h##. The more I think about it, though, the more that makes sense. That assumption gives the same answer as the original post, except the expression describes ##Q/w## instead of just ##Q##.

except the expression describes Q/w instead of just Q .

I would think a unit width is implied, which makes the expression easier to work with.

Multiply by the whole width to obtain the total flow in the channel.

256bits said:
I would think a unit width is implied, which makes the expression easier to work with.

Multiply by the whole width to obtain the total flow in the channel.

It may be but it specifically says volumetric flow rate and leaves it out. You could certainly assume unit width but you'd have to say that in order for the units to make sense. It's probably just one of those things that the author overlooked as obvious but would have confused me as an undergraduate.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is Bernoulli's equation and what does it represent?

Bernoulli's equation is a mathematical equation that represents the conservation of energy in a fluid flow system. It states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline, meaning that the sum of its kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy remains the same.

2. How is the formula for Bernoulli's equation derived?

The formula for Bernoulli's equation is derived by applying the principles of conservation of energy to a fluid flow system. This involves using the basic equations for fluid dynamics, such as the continuity equation and Euler's equation, and simplifying them to obtain the final form of Bernoulli's equation.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the formula for Bernoulli's equation?

The main assumptions made in deriving Bernoulli's equation include the fluid being incompressible, non-viscous, and irrotational. It is also assumed that the flow is steady and has a constant density.

4. Can Bernoulli's equation be applied to all fluid flow systems?

No, Bernoulli's equation can only be applied to certain types of fluid flow systems, such as those with steady, incompressible, and non-viscous flows. It also cannot be applied to flows with significant changes in elevation or flows with significant frictional effects.

5. What are some practical applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications in various fields, such as aerodynamics, hydraulics, and meteorology. It is used to design airplane wings, calculate water flow in pipes, and predict weather patterns. It is also used in medical devices like ventilators and nebulizers.