Best books for computational quantum mechanics?

In summary, the individual is entering graduate school and wants to improve their computational physics knowledge, specifically in the area of computational quantum mechanics. They have experience with various programming languages and are seeking recommendations for resources on partial differential equations and linear algebra. They have found some free resources online and suggest checking out computational chemistry texts as well.
ggb123
Hi,

I'm entering graduate school this fall and was looking to improve my computational physics knowledge. I have experience with MATLAB, Python, Java, and some C.

My question is which resources do you think are the best for learning the methods required for computational quantum mechanics? Specifically, I suppose these would include partial differential equations, linear algebra, etc... I have numerous good resources on numerical integration/differentiation, but my library is lacking in these areas.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if its the best around but there are a number available free on the internet eg:
http://www.itp.phys.ethz.ch/education/fs10/cqp/script.pdf [Broken]

Computational chemistry texts may also help.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is computational quantum mechanics?

Computational quantum mechanics is a branch of quantum mechanics that uses computer algorithms and simulations to study the behavior of quantum systems. It involves solving complex equations and modeling quantum phenomena to understand and predict the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

2. Why is it important to read books on computational quantum mechanics?

Books on computational quantum mechanics provide a comprehensive understanding of the theories and techniques used in this field. They also offer practical examples and case studies, which can help scientists apply these concepts in their own research. Additionally, reading books can help keep scientists updated on the latest developments and advancements in the field.

3. What are some recommended books for computational quantum mechanics?

Some highly recommended books for computational quantum mechanics include "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Michael A. Nielsen and Isaac L. Chuang, "Computational Quantum Mechanics" by Rajendra Prasad, and "Quantum Mechanics in Computational Systems" by J. David Jackson.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading books on computational quantum mechanics?

Yes, some basic knowledge of quantum mechanics and computer programming is necessary to understand the concepts presented in books on computational quantum mechanics. It is also helpful to have some background in linear algebra and calculus.

5. Can books on computational quantum mechanics be used for self-study?

Yes, books on computational quantum mechanics can be a valuable resource for self-study. However, it is recommended to also supplement with online resources, lectures, and practice problems to fully grasp the concepts. It is also beneficial to have discussions with other scientists and experts in the field to deepen understanding and clarify any questions.