1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Fit Lines

1. Dec 14, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    In one of my problems, I have this set of data.

upload_2016-12-14_21-29-5.png

I have to create two best fit lines, and find a value of absolute zero for both.

The first best fit line is to be made assuming there is NO uncertainty in P. This is rather straightforward, just use the normal linear regression, find a slope and find a y-intercept, and there should be no error on either of them.

The second best fit line is to be made assuming there IS uncertainty in P. Am I incorrect in thinking that the best fit line should be exactly the same as the other one, except there would be an error in the slope and y-intercept?
    And how would I find this error in them both?

Also, I'm not sure if this is posted in the right section, if not please move this to the appropriate section.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

There is error in the strictest sense, that is the whole purpose behind regression, to minimize it.

This really depends on whats expected of you. So, yes, what you said is probably what the professor expects from just the information in the post. Find the best fit line and then carry the error over into the slope and y-intercept.

This isn't the easiest question to answer, because it's hard to judge how much error analysis is expected of you, or what you already know. What class is this for?

4. Dec 15, 2016 #3
    This is the lab section for undergraduate University Physics 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted