Best place to buy the best cheap motors

  • Thread starter quickquestion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motors
In summary: I would recommend looking for a gasoline engine. A small electric engine might also be a good option, but I'm not as familiar with them. If this belongs in engineering forums I am not sure, but please move it there if so.Basically, I am looking to buy some cheap motors.Basically, I am trying to build a small 1 person car that can drive on the sidewalk.Trying to find out the best and cheapest small motors. Preferably with a throttle.These motors would only need to move 250 lbs at 20 mph or 30 mph.I want gasoline or electric motors but basically any kind of motor I am open to alternatives. If electric then what battery do
  • #1
Basically, I am looking to buy some cheap motors.
Basically, I am trying to build a small 1 person car that can drive on the sidewalk.
Trying to find out the best and cheapest small motors. Preferably with a throttle.
These motors would only need to move 250 lbs at 20 mph or 30 mph.

I want gasoline or electric motors but basically any kind of motor I am open to alternatives. If electric then what battery do I use, I don't want to use a car battery but a strong battery I can plug into walls.

If this belongs in engineering forums I am not sure, but please move it there if so.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
quickquestion said:
Basically, I am looking to buy some cheap motors.
Basically, I am trying to build a small 1 person car that can drive on the sidewalk.
Trying to find out the best and cheapest small motors. Preferably with a throttle.
These motors would only need to move 250 lbs at 20 mph or 30 mph.

I want gasoline or electric motors but basically any kind of motor I am open to alternatives. If electric then what battery do I use, I don't want to use a car battery but a strong battery I can plug into walls.

If this belongs in engineering forums I am not sure, but please move it there if so.
I don't know the laws where you live, but everywhere I've lived, it's illegal to drive anything on a sidewalk, here it's illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk, it's for pedestrian use, it has to be designated a bicycle path.
 
  • #3
Evo said:
I don't know the laws where you live, but everywhere I've lived, it's illegal to drive anything on a sidewalk, here it's illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk, it's for pedestrian use, it has to be designated a bicycle path.
I am more concerned with the physics over the legality. In any case, it is legal for bicycles to be on the side walk where I live, but if need be, I can just ride it around in my parking lot until I speak with a legal expert.
 
  • #4
quickquestion said:
I am more concerned with the physics over the legality. In any case, it is legal for bicycles to be on the side walk where I live, but if need be, I can just ride it around in my parking lot until I speak with a legal expert.
Yeah, I'd just hate for you to build a cool little car and then not be able to drive it anywhere. And I'm pretty angry about not being able to ride my bike on the sidewalk, no one walks on the sidewalks here and the roads are too dangerous for bikes, there is no space between the curb and the car lane, the car lane ends at the curb.

Good luck on your project!
 
  • #5
Evo said:
Yeah, I'd just hate for you to build a cool little car and then not be able to drive it anywhere. And I'm pretty angry about not being able to ride my bike on the sidewalk, no one walks on the sidewalks here and the roads are too dangerous for bikes, there is no space between the curb and the car lane, the car lane ends at the curb.

Good luck on your project!
I think you should move here because this is the land of free-roaming bicycles that may ride on sidewalks and roads. I wish you luck on your voyage if you decide to move here. I have also seen people riding ridiculous motorized contraptions on roads here, such as a motorbike with small wheels and a seat less than 1 foot off the ground.
 
  • #6
quickquestion said:
I think you should move here because this is the land of free-roaming bicycles that may ride on sidewalks and roads. I wish you luck on your voyage if you decide to move here. I have also seen people riding ridiculous motorized contraptions on roads here, such as a motorbike with small wheels and a seat less than 1 foot off the ground.
The cops here would never allow it. Very strict. :frown:
 
  • #7
I had an uncle who was an extremely good mechanic and when I was a kid he built a lawnmower motor powered go-cart for my cousins. It was amazing: he rigged up a transmission from pulleys and fan belts that toggled into place by lever. That transmission was really the secret: he, himself, an adult, could drive it around and do 30 MPH. It had 3 speeds. I don't remember the horsepower of the motor, but it wasn't very much at all: as I said, it was from a lawnmower.

He made a track for it in his yard, which was pretty big. They didn't ride it on the sidewalk.
 
  • #8
If you want a small engine that could be used for something like that, I'd recommend a horizontal shaft engine from an application like a snowblower, roto-tiller, (large) air compressor, generator, or something similar. You can find those items on craigslist in various categories. Another option is to buy a horizontal-shaft engine brand new from harbor-freight

Most of the single-cylinder air-cooled lawn more type engines will have a mechanical governor on them which limits their maximum engine speed to approximately 3600RPM. You can disconnect that governor linkage and actuate the throttle position directly by means of a throttle cable. The maximum engine speed will then be well above 3600RPM, but operating at high load above the intended speed range will decrease the lifespan of the engine.
 
  • #9
RogueOne said:
If you want a small engine that could be used for something like that, I'd recommend a horizontal shaft engine from an application like a snowblower, roto-tiller, (large) air compressor, generator, or something similar. You can find those items on craigslist in various categories. Another option is to buy a horizontal-shaft engine brand new from harbor-freight

Most of the single-cylinder air-cooled lawn more type engines will have a mechanical governor on them which limits their maximum engine speed to approximately 3600RPM. You can disconnect that governor linkage and actuate the throttle position directly by means of a throttle cable. The maximum engine speed will then be well above 3600RPM, but operating at high load above the intended speed range will decrease the lifespan of the engine.
Hmm, thanks for the advice. I shall start shopping on craigslist one of these days.
Evo said:
The cops here would never allow it. Very strict. :frown:
That is why you should move here.

zoobyshoe said:
I had an uncle who was an extremely good mechanic and when I was a kid he built a lawnmower motor powered go-cart for my cousins. It was amazing: he rigged up a transmission from pulleys and fan belts that toggled into place by lever. That transmission was really the secret: he, himself, an adult, could drive it around and do 30 MPH. It had 3 speeds. I don't remember the horsepower of the motor, but it wasn't very much at all: as I said, it was from a lawnmower.

He made a track for it in his yard, which was pretty big. They didn't ride it on the sidewalk.
Lawnmowers have more HP than chainsaws, based on my google results.
 
  • #10
For cheap and new there is Harbor Freight - gas, they have some cheap electric motors - but then you need a motor drive.

If looking to repurpose, Gas, yes there are lawnmower curbside all the time. For Electric you may get by with a treadmill motor, may not get you to 30 mph - though ( which relating to the discussion above - is too fast for a sidewalk - IMO). Used golf cart part may work as well.

You may find the other issues like form factor, type of controller, etc have as much to do with what to use than just "best and cheapest small motors"
 
  • #11
An old lawnmower could probably be found at a Goodwill or Salvation Army. They are usually between 3 and 5 horsepower, more than enough to propel you. I've known people who have used lawnmower engines for everything from go karts to hovercraft.
 
  • #12
If I may suggest something
this or something like it
https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=201869491689&lpid=82&&&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F711-117182-37290-0%252F2%253Fmtid%253D1588%2526kwid%253D1%2526crlp%253D183016357862_324272%2526itemid%253D201869491689%2526targetid%253D340521018447%2526rpc%253D0.08%2526rpc_upld_id%253D119626%2526device%253Dt%2526mpre%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com%25252Fulk%25252Fitm%25252Flike%25252F201869491689%25253Flpid%25253D82%252526chn%25253Dps%2526adtype%253Dpla%2526googleloc%253D9029970%2526poi%253D%2526campaignid%253D764892186%2526adgroupid%253D39783961149%2526rlsatarget%253Daud-298628319106%253Apla-340521018447%2526gclid%253DCjwKEAjw5_vHBRCBtt2NqqCDjiESJABD5rCJpPQf3TgeebYAl2ukYea8VdLfZk4DJeBdl8xh_epfzRoCH5fw_wcB%2526srcrot%253D711-117182-37290-0%2526rvr_id%253D1206475572047&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps
 

1. Where can I find the best deals on motors?

The best place to find the best deals on motors is to do some research online. Look for online marketplaces and websites that specialize in selling motors at discounted prices. You can also check out local stores and garage sales for potential deals.

2. What should I look for when buying a cheap motor?

When buying a cheap motor, it is important to consider the brand and model, the specifications and features, the warranty and return policy, and customer reviews. Make sure to also check the seller's reputation and compare prices from different sources.

3. Are refurbished motors a good option for saving money?

Refurbished motors can be a good option for saving money, but it is important to do your research and make sure they have been properly inspected and certified. Some sellers offer warranties on refurbished motors, so make sure to check for that as well.

4. Can I negotiate for a lower price when buying a motor?

It is possible to negotiate for a lower price when buying a motor, especially if you are buying from a local store or seller. However, keep in mind that some sellers have fixed prices and may not be willing to negotiate. Always be polite and respectful when trying to negotiate for a lower price.

5. Are there any specific times of the year when motors are on sale?

Yes, there are certain times of the year when motors are more likely to be on sale. These include major holidays such as Black Friday and Cyber Monday, end-of-season sales, and clearance sales. It is also worth checking for sales during major industry trade shows and events.

Suggested for: Best place to buy the best cheap motors

Back
Top