Best Free Encrypted Email Services: Reviews & Comparisons

• Thread starter CosminaPrisma
  • Start date
In summary, there are many free encrypted email services available, each with their own unique features and benefits. ProtonMail is a popular choice for its end-to-end encryption and user-friendly interface. Tutanota is another highly secure option, offering strong encryption and no tracking of user data. Hushmail stands out for its customizable security settings and compatibility with multiple devices. Ultimately, the best free encrypted email service will depend on an individual's specific needs and preferences, but these three options are highly recommended by users and experts alike.
CosminaPrisma
I know that there are some encrypted e-mails services that are free. Which ones are good ones? Have you used any? Hotmail, yahoo,etc are not encrypted...neither is g-mail

Computer science news on Phys.org
Good question. You would be MUCH better off using a stand-alone program to encrypt your email for use over standard email services.
But, that's not your question, so I will post this Q on another forum I belong which deals with such issues and report back(takes a day or so for good answers)

Why would you rely on someone else's service to encrypt your data? Encrypt it yourself.

Even if your webmail service encrypts their HTTP traffic, the emails themselves are still being sent over SMTP from one mail server to another, completely unencrypted.

Like franz, I suggest you just use an email client which includes support for PGP encryption.

- Warren

chroot said:
Even if your webmail service encrypts their HTTP traffic, the emails themselves are still being sent over SMTP from one mail server to another, completely unencrypted.
- Warren

That is not correct. An originating encrypted email, be it from the user himself or through a service, remains encrypted throughout all of the "jumps"
What you might be referring to is that the transport protocol itself is not, and SHOULD NOT be encrypted, else you will lose transport ability. BUT, the contained encrypted data in each packet frame maintains encrypted regardless of how many mail servers it goes through to reach its destination.

In addition, many services which provide e-mail encryption DO NOT just do it at their mail server. You are provided with an encyption applet to secure the transmission to their server.

pallidin said:
That is not correct. An originating encrypted email, be it from the user himself or through a service, remains encrypted throughout all of the "jumps"

Excuse me?

If a webmail service uses secure HTTP (https) to communicate with its users, but then transfers their (plaintext) mail to other mail servers with SMTP, then the messages are still being moved in plaintext across the network -- just not from the user's machine.

If the service actually encrypts messages for you before transferring them via SMTP to other mail servers, then it would seem the only people who could read them are those who use the same service (or know the algorithm the service employs, and have the key and so on).

- Warren

pallidin said:
What you might be referring to is that the transport protocol itself is not, and SHOULD NOT be encrypted, else you will lose transport ability. BUT, the contained encrypted data in each packet frame maintains encrypted regardless of how many mail servers it goes through to reach its destination.
Actually this is what Chroot was saying, the payload of SMTP is not encrypted unless you encrypted it yourself via PGP or whatever.

the emails themselves are still being sent over SMTP from one mail server to another, completely unencrypted.

This is correct ^

What you might be referring to is that the transport protocol itself is not, and SHOULD NOT be encrypted, else you will lose transport ability

This isn't ^

You cannt encrypt a "protocol" and using these two words in the same sentance makes no sence. You encrypt the payload, or Data contained within a packet not a protocol. A protocol is a standard of formal message formates and rules that two devices use to communicate, they aggree on how to communicate so they can. The IP protocol suite is a OPEN standard..

IPSec is a routed protocol, in 2 versions tunneling or TRANSPORT mode, the payload is encrytped in both, and in Tunneling mode, both the IP header and payload is encrypted. Actually I am posting on this forum regularly with my packets in an encrypted transport protocol. As you can see I don't loose any routing ability. And when I do, nobody will see my actual IP address, not even the admins. :cool:

Last edited:
Anyway to answer your question, the best encryption you can get your hands on would be to use a "key pair", public and private key pair to encrypt your emails like what RSA or PGP uses... give your public key to anyone you want to communicate with you, and have them encrypt the message with this public key, only your private key can decrypt the message

1. What is an encrypted email service?

An encrypted email service is a secure way to send and receive emails. It uses encryption algorithms to scramble the contents of the email, making it unreadable to anyone who doesn't have the right decryption key. This ensures that your emails are protected from hackers and other unauthorized users.

2. How does encryption work in email services?

Encryption works by using special codes to scramble the contents of an email. The recipient of the email must have the correct decryption key in order to unscramble and read the message. This key is usually only shared between the sender and recipient, ensuring that only the intended recipient can read the email.

3. What are the benefits of using an encrypted email service?

Using an encrypted email service provides several benefits. It ensures the security and privacy of your emails, as they can only be read by the intended recipient. It also protects against data breaches and hacking attempts. Additionally, encrypted email services often offer features such as two-factor authentication and secure storage for your emails.

4. What are some popular free encrypted email services?

Some popular free encrypted email services include ProtonMail, Tutanota, and Mailfence. These services offer end-to-end encryption, meaning that only the sender and recipient can read the contents of the email. They also have additional security features such as two-factor authentication and self-destructing messages.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using free encrypted email services?

While free encrypted email services offer strong security and privacy measures, there are some potential drawbacks. These services may have limited storage space or features compared to paid email services. Additionally, some users may be concerned about the privacy policies of these services, as they may collect some user data for advertising purposes. It is important to research and carefully consider the terms and policies of any email service before using it.