Best Textbooks for Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Classical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a project on the Hamiltonian/Lagrangian formulation of classical mechanics. The individual has already studied some math and is looking for recommendations on textbooks to learn from. Goldstein's Classical Mechanics is recommended, but there are alternative options such as Goldstein's text on scattering theory and Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics". Other recommendations include Feynman's "The Principle of Least Action" and various textbooks for quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. The individual is also interested in studying foundations and the difference between the second and third editions of Goldstein's book. It is mentioned that there is not much difference between the two editions and there may be errors in the latest edition. Lastly, another
SeReNiTy
I'm doing a project next semester on the hamiltonian/lagrangian formulation of classical mechanics and i was wondering what would be the best textbooks to learn from?

I've already studied some maths including calculus, calculus on manifolds, linear algebra, abstract algebra...

I was reccomended Classical Mechanics (Goldstein), what do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eeh, Goldstein, perhaps??
Alternatively, you might use Goldstein.

Sommerfeld's Book is also a good reference.

i found thornton and marion's book on the subject unreadable.

here's a telling example: during our coverage of scattering theory in my school's undergraduate classical mechanics class, the prof actually made print-outs from goldstein's text since it was far superior to T-n-M's.

i haven't read anything else from goldstein, but those few pages were very clear.

If you're only doing a "project" (a presentation, I'll assume), then you need something substantial, but to-the-point. In other words, you want something that'll teach you the entire Hamiltonian/Lagrangian formulation, in a nutshell. That's usually the most efficient way to gather information for a presentation/report.

With this in mind, I actually recommend...a quantum mechanics textbook! Chapter 2 of R. Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" is devoted to a quick review of Hamiltonian/Lagrangian mechanics, and it contains all the basic concepts, principles and equations, in about 30 pages. It's condensed, but effective and efficient. So this is my recommendation.

Of course, if you want the most rigorous introduction known to man, then go ahead and use Goldstein. But since you're only giving a presentation, I'm guessing you want the Cliffs Notes version -- which can be found in Shankar's book.

What is it that you want to do in the subject..specifically?

Required reading: Feynman's "The Principle of Least Action" chapter in vol II of the Feynman Lectures. (Some interesting related introductions are here http://www.eftaylor.com/leastaction.html )

Do you want to do textbook problems?... Schaum's Outlines, Marion-Thornton, Landau-Lifshitz, Goldstein, Fetter-Walecka

Do want to prepare for QM and QFT?
For QM, yes... use a quantum text. For relativistic field theory, you might like Doughty's Lagrangian Interaction.
[advanced: Mackey]

Do you want to study foundations? (e.g. variational principles, geometrical structure)... Lanczos, [very advanced: Arnol'd, Abraham-Marsden, http://mitpress.mit.edu/SICM/ ]

A nice book [if you can find it] with a mix of geometrical foundations and problems is Woodhouse's Analytical Mechanics http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/top3mset/463b7ef715179873a19afeb4da09e526.html

Essentially this "project" is just a unit where i can freely learn anything of my choice under the guidance of a professor. I've chosen to learn a proper formulation of classical mechanics with the intent to have a better understanding of the mathematical formulism (namely the lagragian/hamiltonian).

If time permits during the semester, i'll investigate the extension of these formulisms to quantum mechanics...

Btw, what is the difference between the second and third editions of goldstein's book?

SeReNiTy said:
Btw, what is the difference between the second and third editions of goldstein's book?

Ha! Practically nothing. The cover is different, that's about all. And the end-of-chapter exercises are rearranged to occur in different numerical order. You can even find errors in the latest edition! I get the suspicion that publishers don't want all the errors to be corrected, because then there can be no excuse for a new edition, and hence no new profits...

Check out Mechanics by Landau et al

1. What is the difference between Hamiltonian and Lagrangian Classical Mechanics?

Hamiltonian and Lagrangian Classical Mechanics are two different approaches to solving problems in classical mechanics. The Lagrangian method uses a single equation to describe the motion of a system, while the Hamiltonian method uses two equations, one for the position and one for the momentum of the system. The Hamiltonian method is often considered more advanced and powerful, but both methods have their own advantages and are commonly used in various applications.

2. What are the main features of a good textbook on Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Classical Mechanics?

A good textbook on Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Classical Mechanics should provide a clear and thorough explanation of the principles and concepts of both methods. It should also include a variety of examples and problems with detailed solutions to help readers understand and apply the concepts. Additionally, the textbook should have a comprehensive coverage of the topic and be written in a concise and accessible manner.

3. How do I choose the best textbook for my level of understanding?

The best textbook for Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Classical Mechanics will depend on your level of understanding and your specific needs. If you are new to the topic, a textbook with a more basic approach and more explanatory examples may be suitable. If you already have a good understanding of the subject, a more advanced textbook with challenging problems may be more beneficial. It is also helpful to read reviews and get recommendations from peers or professors.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks for self-study of Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Classical Mechanics?

Yes, there are many textbooks that are highly recommended for self-study of Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Classical Mechanics. Some popular choices among students and professionals include "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, "The Variational Principles of Mechanics" by Cornelius Lanczos, and "Classical Mechanics: A Modern Perspective" by Vernon Barger and Martin Olsson. It is important to find a textbook that aligns with your learning style and goals.

5. Can I use online resources instead of a textbook for learning Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Classical Mechanics?

While there are many online resources available for learning Hamiltonian/Lagrangian Classical Mechanics, a textbook is still highly recommended for a comprehensive understanding of the subject. Online resources may not cover all the necessary topics or may not provide the same level of depth as a textbook. It is best to use a combination of both resources for a well-rounded understanding of the topic.