Bianchi Identity-where did I go wrong?

• Thread starter zn5252
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Bianchi Identities of the second kind and the formula for ∇a Rbcde. The person is trying to prove a formula and realizes that it is incorrect. They eventually find the correct formula by multiplying by an additional tensor factor. The conversation also mentions the use of dummy indices and the antisymmetry of certain variables.
zn5252
hello ,
In the Bianchi Identities of the second kind, we have ∇a Rbcde + ∇b Rcade + ∇c Rabde ≡ 0
but since ∇c Rabde = - ∇c Rbade
we get :
∇a Rbcde + ∇b Rcade - ∇c Rbade = 0
in the last term, we exchange the c and the b indices and we would arrive at:
∇a Rbcde + ∇b Rcade - ∇b Rcade = 0
which leads to :
∇a Rbcde = 0 .
but this incorrect ? did I do something wrong ?
I would like actually to arrive at the formula :
2 ∇b Racde − ∇a Rbcde ≡ 0.

see formula 9 here from original Bel's article from 1938:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bp...ction+d'un+tenseur+du+quatrième+ordre;.langEN

and
(see formula 5 here : https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...9JJLhB&sig=AHIEtbRUONCiZUSV_8erdxK9YSMiouUrjA)Thanks,
cheers,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
in the last term, we exchange the c and the b indices
Only "dummy" indices can be freely changed like this, i.e. indices that are being summed over.

Thanks I see , I must have been on a rush to get to the formula.
My problem is then : how do i get rid of the last variable on which the divergence is acting I mean c ? is there a formula I must have have overlooked perhaps ?

I don't think what you're trying to prove is true. Bel's result follows only after he's multiplied by another factor of the Riemann tensor.

I see, now I think I found it . I have tried it out indeed with the additional tensor factor. it goes like this :
we have :
a Rbcde + ∇b Rcade + ∇c Rabde ≡ 0
multiply out by Rbcdf , we get :
Rbcdfa Rbcde + Rbcdfb Rcade + Rbcdfc Rabde ≡ 0

=>in the last term , we exchange the b and the c since now they are dummy indices I presume and in the second term, we use the antisymmetry of a and c:

Rbcdfa Rbcde - Rbcdfb Racde + Rcbdfb Racde = Rbcdfa Rbcde - 2 Rbcdfb Racde

Thank you.

PS : Sorry the Bel's article above is from 1958. I must have confused it with the article of Lanczos .

Last edited:

1. What is the Bianchi Identity?

The Bianchi Identity is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the curvature and the energy-momentum tensor of spacetime in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. Why is the Bianchi Identity important in physics?

The Bianchi Identity helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of curved spacetime, which is essential in understanding phenomena such as gravity and the structure of the universe.

3. What are some common mistakes made when using the Bianchi Identity?

Some common mistakes include using incorrect mathematical notation, making errors in the calculations, and not fully understanding the underlying principles of the Bianchi Identity.

4. How can I check if I've correctly applied the Bianchi Identity?

You can check your work by making sure that the equation is covariant, meaning it is unchanged under a change of coordinates, and that it is consistent with the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

5. Can the Bianchi Identity be applied to other theories besides general relativity?

Yes, the Bianchi Identity is a general mathematical concept and can be applied in other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.