Bifurcation Diagram in AUTO

In summary, the conversation is about an ODE and its corresponding system of equations. The speaker introduces two variables and uses a software called AUTO to detect bifurcation. The graph attached represents the results of the bifurcation plot, and the speaker is asking for clarification on the mathematical meaning of the graph and the value of a specific point on it. There is a request to post the graph as an image instead of a PDF file.
member 428835
Hi PF

I am given the ODE ##\ddot{\theta} +q\sin\theta+\mu\cos\theta=0##, where I introduce ##x_1 = \theta## and ##x_2=\dot{\theta}## to yield$$
\dot{x_2}=-q\sin x_1-\mu\cos x_1\\
x_2=\dot{x_1}
$$
subject to ##x_2(0)=x_2(1)=0## and ##\int_0^1\sin x_1\, d t = 0##. I then plug this system into the program AUTO, a bifurcation detection software. The bifurcation plot is attached. My question is, what does this graph represent mathematically? What would the value of one point, say 17, represent?

Thanks a ton for your help!

Attachments

• bifurcation.pdf
    106.8 KB · Views: 273
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the graph directly as an image instead of a pdf? Not everyones browser opens pdf files especially with the issues Adobe has with malware.

I'm happy to, but I don't know how to do this?

Here

biurification.png

Likes member 428835

Question 1: What is a Bifurcation Diagram in AUTO?

A Bifurcation Diagram in AUTO is a graphical representation of the qualitative behavior of a dynamical system as a function of a control parameter. It shows the different possible states of the system and their stability as the control parameter varies.

Question 2: What is the purpose of creating a Bifurcation Diagram in AUTO?

The purpose of creating a Bifurcation Diagram in AUTO is to understand and analyze the behavior of a dynamical system. It allows researchers to identify the different states and transitions of the system, and to determine the critical points or values of the control parameter that lead to these changes.

Question 3: How is a Bifurcation Diagram in AUTO created?

A Bifurcation Diagram in AUTO is created by using numerical techniques to solve the equations that describe the dynamical system. The control parameter is varied over a range of values, and the resulting solutions are plotted on the diagram. The diagram is typically constructed using specialized software, such as the AUTO program.

Question 4: What are the key components of a Bifurcation Diagram in AUTO?

The key components of a Bifurcation Diagram in AUTO include the control parameter axis, which represents the values of the control parameter, and the solution curves, which show the different states of the system. The diagram also includes points of bifurcation, where the stability of the system changes, and special points such as limit points and bifurcation points.

Question 5: How can a Bifurcation Diagram in AUTO be used in scientific research?

A Bifurcation Diagram in AUTO can be used in scientific research to study and understand the behavior of complex systems, such as biological or ecological systems. It can also be used to identify critical points or values of the control parameter that lead to desirable or undesirable states of the system. Additionally, the diagram can be used to make predictions and guide experiments or interventions in these systems.