Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Big Problem

1. Apr 7, 2004 #1
    ok I have another problem here. Please help me. Thank you in advance.

A 1.50 kg sled scrapes down a grassy incline where the coefficient of friction is 0.678. The sled moves at a constant speed f 4.50 m/s and it takes 12.5 seconds to travel the entire length of the hill to the bottom.

After the sled passes, a 5.00kg rolling cart (with an effective coefficient of friction of .456) goes down the same hill. At the bottom. the cart crashes into a very massive bale of hay (which does not move so this is not a collision problem). The ha bale exerts an average force of 98.0N on the cart. Calculate how far into the hay bale the cart goes before stopping.

[Hints: find angle of incline; length of incline; acceleration of cart; speed at bottom of incline]

I recieved for the angle: 34 degrees
    the length of the incline: 2.78m
    acceleration of cart: 1.78m/s squared
    speed at bottom: 3.15 m/s

Please inform me if I am wrong on any of those, and please help me to calculate the distance the cart travels in the hay before it stops.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Delta Mu:

This is a take-home EXAM. Help from others was specifically forbidden. THis includes people you do not know.

Hello, I am your teacher.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  4. Apr 7, 2004 #3
    Hah! This is funny. Good thing you didn't use your real name... :wink:

Well, not knowing if you really are his teacher (afer all, what are the odds?) I will just say that:
    [tex]F_{ext}x = \Delta E_m = \Delta E_k[/tex]

5. Apr 7, 2004 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The odds are good. I tell all my students about this forum and encourage them to seek help with homework. HTis is a question from a test, however, and I would request that no one answer it further.

6. Apr 7, 2004 #5
    Fair enough. I do appreciate the trust you have in your students, and what I posted can be found in every textbook anyway. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook