1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Problem

1. Apr 7, 2004 #1
    ok I have another problem here. Please help me. Thank you in advance.

A 1.50 kg sled scrapes down a grassy incline where the coefficient of friction is 0.678. The sled moves at a constant speed f 4.50 m/s and it takes 12.5 seconds to travel the entire length of the hill to the bottom.

After the sled passes, a 5.00kg rolling cart (with an effective coefficient of friction of .456) goes down the same hill. At the bottom. the cart crashes into a very massive bale of hay (which does not move so this is not a collision problem). The ha bale exerts an average force of 98.0N on the cart. Calculate how far into the hay bale the cart goes before stopping.

[Hints: find angle of incline; length of incline; acceleration of cart; speed at bottom of incline]

I recieved for the angle: 34 degrees
    the length of the incline: 2.78m
    acceleration of cart: 1.78m/s squared
    speed at bottom: 3.15 m/s

Please inform me if I am wrong on any of those, and please help me to calculate the distance the cart travels in the hay before it stops.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2004 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Delta Mu:

This is a take-home EXAM. Help from others was specifically forbidden. THis includes people you do not know.

Hello, I am your teacher.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  4. Apr 7, 2004 #3
    Hah! This is funny. Good thing you didn't use your real name... :wink:

Well, not knowing if you really are his teacher (afer all, what are the odds?) I will just say that:
    [tex]F_{ext}x = \Delta E_m = \Delta E_k[/tex]
  5. Apr 7, 2004 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The odds are good. I tell all my students about this forum and encourage them to seek help with homework. HTis is a question from a test, however, and I would request that no one answer it further.
  6. Apr 7, 2004 #5
    Fair enough. I do appreciate the trust you have in your students, and what I posted can be found in every textbook anyway. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?