1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binding energy of a single C-C covalent bond

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    "Consider a diamond crystal containing 1 mole of carbon (6.022e23)atoms. It is found that the energy required to separate all the C atoms from each other to an infinite distance apart is 710kJ. ?Binding Energy."

I really have no idea where to start. I've looked online for other things but they don't deal with solid state physics. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2
    As I understand it, your "question" (if you posed one) can be answered with the definition of potential energy or binding energy. Consider a hydrogen atom consisting of a proton and an electron. The energy you need to completely separate them, meaning that you increase the distance to infinity, is called binding energy. Energy is (in a very basic approach) somehow synonymous to the force you have to put into it.

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    If you are looking for binding energy per atom then you just divide the energy per mole (given) to the number of atoms in the mole. This is the one usually given in tables found in physics books (in eV). It may (or not) be the energy of a bond, depending on how many bonds are formed by a mole of atoms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook