Resetting BIOS: How to Do It and What to Expect

• Thread starter DMP
  • Start date
In summary, resetting the BIOS password can be done by bridging the jumper on the motherboard or by removing the cmos battery and shorting the two terminals. It is recommended to consult the motherboard manual for specific instructions. After resetting the BIOS, the computer's applications should function as they did before.
DMP
I forget my bios pw,
I can't setup my bios
I once heard that
we can reset our bios
But how can I do it?
and after i reset bios
will my computer's applications
be well as befrore

thanks

Decaprio Mojosprayer Peonardu

Computer science news on Phys.org
There's often a jumper on motherboards which can be used to clear the RAM used to store the BIOS configuration, including the password. Normally, just briding the jumper for a few seconds, with the power off, will reset the BIOS. You should read the manual for your motherboard.

- Warren

it shorts the cmos battery, or if there is no jumper, just remove the batter and short the two terminals.

What is the purpose of resetting BIOS?

Resetting BIOS restores the motherboard's default settings, clearing out any changes made to the BIOS setup. This can help resolve issues such as computer freezing, booting problems, and hardware malfunctions.

How do I reset BIOS?

The specific method for resetting BIOS varies depending on the motherboard manufacturer. Generally, you can reset BIOS by pressing a combination of keys during startup, using a physical reset button on the motherboard, or removing and reinserting the CMOS battery. It's important to consult your motherboard's manual for the exact steps.

Will resetting BIOS delete my files?

No, resetting BIOS does not affect your files. It only resets the motherboard's settings and does not interfere with the operating system or your data.

What should I expect after resetting BIOS?

After resetting BIOS, your computer will boot up using the default settings. This means that any changes you made to the BIOS setup, such as overclocking or changing boot order, will be reverted. You may need to make these changes again after resetting BIOS.

Can resetting BIOS fix all computer issues?

No, resetting BIOS can help resolve certain issues related to the BIOS setup or hardware malfunctions. However, it may not fix all computer issues. If the issue persists after resetting BIOS, it may be caused by other factors such as software problems or faulty hardware.