Calculating Fx of Three Parallel Wires

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the x-component of the force exerted on a one meter length of wire carrying current I1. The magnetic fields at the locations of the wires are correctly calculated using equation 2. However, the approach for finding the force on wire 1 is incorrect as it requires taking the cross product of the current and magnetic field vectors. The x-component of the force is found to be 9.52*10^-7 N.
kjlchem

Homework Statement

Three infinite straight wires are fixed in place and aligned parallel to the z-axis as shown. The wire at (x,y) = (-21 cm, 0) carries current I1 = 2 A in the negative z-direction. The wire at (x,y) = (21 cm, 0) carries current I2 = 1 A in the positive z-direction. The wire at (x,y) = (0, 36.4 cm) carries current I3 = 5.8 A in the positive z-direction.

What is Fx(1), the x-component of the force exerted on a one meter length of the wire carrying current I1?

Homework Equations

(1) F = IL x B

(2) B= μI/2∏R

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that B of 2 on 1 is 4.76*10^-7 T and B of 3 on 1 is 5.524*10^-6 T using equation 2. I think that B (2,1) is in the negative vertical direction, and that B (3,1) is pointed 60° S of the x axis. So, to find the y components of both (the x component of the F, the only thing I need to do is multiply B (3,1) times the sine of 60 and then I can use equation 1 to give me the force. Unfortunately, this is not correct. I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Attachments

• bs.bmp
    135.9 KB · Views: 653
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have correctly calculated the magnetic fields at the locations of the wires. However, your approach for finding the force on wire 1 is incorrect. The force on a wire due to a magnetic field is given by the equation F = I x B, where I is the current in the wire and B is the magnetic field. This equation is a vector equation, meaning that the force is also a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

To find the x-component of the force on wire 1, you need to take the cross product of the current in wire 1 with the magnetic field at its location. This will give you a vector with both x and y components, and the x-component will be the one you are looking for.

In this case, the current in wire 1 is in the negative z-direction, so its vector representation is I1 = 0i - 0j - 2k. The magnetic field at its location is in the negative y-direction, so its vector representation is B1 = 0i - 4.76*10^-7j + 0k. Taking the cross product of these two vectors, you will get a vector with components in all three directions. However, the x-component is the one you are interested in, and it will be given by the product of the y-components of the two vectors, which is 2 x 4.76*10^-7 = 9.52*10^-7 N.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Calculating Fx of Three Parallel Wires

1. How do you determine the total Fx of three parallel wires?

The total Fx of three parallel wires can be calculated by adding the individual Fx values of each wire. This can be done by using the formula Fx = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2 * π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in each wire, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

2. Can the Fx values of three parallel wires be negative?

Yes, the Fx values of three parallel wires can be negative. This occurs when the currents in the wires are flowing in opposite directions, resulting in a repulsive force between the wires.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Fx?

The unit of measurement for Fx is Newtons (N). This is a unit of force and represents the amount of force exerted between the wires.

4. Is the total Fx of three parallel wires affected by the distance between the wires?

Yes, the total Fx of three parallel wires is affected by the distance between the wires. As the distance between the wires decreases, the force between them increases. This relationship follows an inverse square law, meaning that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the wires.

5. How can the Fx of three parallel wires be used in real-world applications?

The Fx of three parallel wires can be used in various applications, such as in electromagnets, electric motors, and power transmission systems. Understanding the Fx between parallel wires is important in designing these systems and ensuring their efficiency and safety.