How do I calculate the side of a rhombus using the bisector of an angle theorem?

In summary: Therefore, the sides of the rhombus are all equal to 3.6. In summary, using the bisector of an angle theorem, it can be proven that a parallelogram with a diagonal as a bisector of an angle is a rhombus. In the given problem, the side of the rhombus is calculated to be 3.6 using the intercept theorem.
Yankel
Hello all,

I have this question I struggle with...

View attachment 7836

EDFB is a parallelogram. It is known that AB/BC = AD/DC.

1) Prove that the parallelogram is a rhombus.

2) It is given that: AB=9, AC=10, BC=AD. Calculate the side of the rhombus.

I think I solved the first part. There is a theorem called the "bisector of an angle theorem" according to which if AB/BC = AD/DC then the line BD is a bisector of an angle of the angle B and then a parallelogram in which the diagonal is a bisector of an angle is a rhombus. Am I correct ?

I have a problem with the second part. I can't figure out how to solve it. The answer should be 3.6. I have tried the intercept theorem (or Thales' theorem), but couldn't figure it out.

Can you kindly assist to in the second part of the question ?

Thank you in advance !

Attachments

• aaaa.PNG
    aaaa.PNG
    1.9 KB · Views: 59
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello all,

I have this question I struggle with...
EDFB is a parallelogram. It is known that AB/BC = AD/DC.

1) Prove that the parallelogram is a rhombus.

2) It is given that: AB=9, AC=10, BC=AD. Calculate the side of the rhombus.

I think I solved the first part. There is a theorem called the "bisector of an angle theorem" according to which if AB/BC = AD/DC then the line BD is a bisector of an angle of the angle B and then a parallelogram in which the diagonal is a bisector of an angle is a rhombus. Am I correct ?
Yes.
Yankel said:
I have a problem with the second part. I can't figure out how to solve it. The answer should be 3.6. I have tried the intercept theorem (or Thales' theorem), but couldn't figure it out.

Can you kindly assist to in the second part of the question ?

If BC = AD = x, then the equation AB/BC = AD/DC becomes 9/x = x/(10-x), a quadratic for x with a unique positive solution.

From the similar triangles AED and ABC you can then calculate that ED/x = x/10, which gives ED = 3.6.

What is the Bisector of an Angle Theorem?

The Bisector of an Angle Theorem states that a line passing through the vertex of an angle, dividing it into two equal angles, is called the angle bisector.

How do you construct the Bisector of an Angle?

To construct the bisector of an angle, follow these steps:

1. Draw the angle with a compass and a straight edge.
  2. Place the compass on the vertex of the angle and draw an arc that intersects both sides of the angle.
  3. Without changing the compass width, place the compass on each of the points where the first arc intersects the sides of the angle and draw two more arcs.
  4. The line connecting the vertex of the angle to the point where the two new arcs intersect is the angle bisector.

What is the purpose of the Bisector of an Angle Theorem?

The Bisector of an Angle Theorem is used to divide an angle into two equal parts, which is helpful in geometric constructions and proofs.

What is the difference between an Angle Bisector and a Perpendicular Bisector?

An Angle Bisector divides an angle into two equal parts, while a Perpendicular Bisector divides a line segment into two equal parts at a right angle.

How is the Bisector of an Angle Theorem used in real life?

The Bisector of an Angle Theorem is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and navigation, where precise measurements and constructions are required. It is also used in everyday situations, like dividing a pizza into equal slices or cutting a cake in half.