Delhi Shower: Black or White Paint?

• Thread starter Jabordnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paint
In summary, the conversation was about a shower set up in a greenhouse using a 50 gallon drum painted black on the outside and white on the inside. The individual was wondering if it would have been more efficient to paint both the outside and inside black. It was concluded that black on both sides would maximize absorption and radiation, but it may be beneficial to paint parts of the tank white to reduce losses.
Jabordnick
Back when I was a youngling, I was down in Delhi, tobacco picking. Our shower consisted of a 50 gallon drum with a faucet and showerhead sitting in the greenhouse. We painted the outside of it black to collect the heat and painted the inside white to radiate it. In retrospect I'm thinking we should have painted both the outside and inside black. I'm just wondering which would have been more efficient?

Physics news on Phys.org
Off hand I think the inside color wouldn't matter, since the heat transfer from the drum to the water would be primarily by conduction.

Black and black would maximise absorption on the outside and radiation on the inside. But, in this instance, mathman gives the correct practical answer.

It could be an advantage to have any parts of the tank which are never in the Sun painted white to reduce losses, if that's a relevant worry in Delhi. It could be relevant here in the chilly UK.

1. What is a Delhi Shower?

A Delhi Shower is a term used to describe a phenomenon in which the walls of a building in Delhi, India become black or white after rainfall. This is caused by a combination of air pollution and the composition of the building materials.

2. Why do the walls turn black or white after rainfall in Delhi?

The walls turn black or white due to the high levels of air pollution in Delhi. The pollutants in the air react with rainwater, forming a layer of black or white residue on the walls. Additionally, the composition of the building materials, such as cement and sand, can also contribute to this phenomenon.

3. Is this phenomenon harmful to the environment?

Yes, this phenomenon is harmful to both the environment and human health. The high levels of air pollution in Delhi contribute to climate change and can also lead to respiratory problems and other health issues.

4. Can the black or white residue on the walls be removed?

Yes, the residue can be removed through regular cleaning and maintenance. However, due to the high levels of air pollution in Delhi, the walls may quickly become discolored again after rainfall.

5. How can this phenomenon be prevented?

The best way to prevent this phenomenon is by reducing air pollution in Delhi. This can be achieved through various measures such as promoting the use of public transportation, enforcing emission standards for industries, and implementing green initiatives in the city.