1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block moving on a horizontal surface

1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

?temp_hash=1b1eef46b89857e8bb7424f18d3afa48.gif

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Working from the reference frame of block , a pseudo force Ma0 towards right need to be applied on the cylinder .

Forces acting on the cylinder are pseudo force , weight Mg and normal force from the block (if any) .

Since the cylinder does not have horizontal acceleration , N sin30° = Ma0 .

I am not able to proceed from here .

Any help would be appreciated .

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The cylinder does not have horizontal acceleration in the rest frame of reference. So it accelerates with respect to the slope.

4. Oct 8, 2015 #3
    Sorry , i did not understand . Could you please explain it a bit more . Do you think the application of pseudo force and subsequent equation written in the block frame are wrong ?

5. Oct 8, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You assumed that the horizontal acceleration of the cylinder is zero in the block frame of reference, didn't you?

6. Oct 8, 2015 #5
    Yes .

So , should the equation be Ma0 - N sin30° = Ma ( 'a' is the horizontal acceleration of the cylinder in the block frame ) ?

7. Oct 8, 2015 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the cylinder does not accelerate horizontally with respect to the block, what is its (horizontal) acceleration with respect to the ground?

8. Oct 8, 2015 #7
    I guess you wanted to ask the other way round :smile: .

Anyways , (horizontal) acceleration with respect to the block would be a0 . That would give N = 0 .

Now ,how should I calculate value of a0 ?

9. Oct 9, 2015 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the vertical acceleration? There is some geometric relation between the horizontal and vertical acceleration of the block in the grove.

10. Oct 9, 2015 #9
    Thank you very much :smile: .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted